• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father died with no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VHolt

What is the name of your state? Texas

My father died in Dec 06. When he died he had about 60k in a savings account that was a joint account with my sister. He also owned a home that was paid for. He had zero debt. His 2006 taxes have been paid, and there are no balances on his medical bills. 3 days after his death my sister withdrew all the money from his account and states she still has it. (in her account). My mother is still alive, they were seperated in 1972, but were never diorced. The bank account was a joint account with him and my sister but it did not have a POD listed. She never put any money in the account. My question is what are my rights in regard to the house and money. She seems do be dragging this out. My Father had no will, and now my sister states that my father told her he wanted her to have everything she had in the bank. Thanks for you help. VHolt

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Texas

My father died in Dec 06. When he died he had about 60k in a savings account that was a joint account with my sister. He also owned a home that was paid for. He had zero debt. His 2006 taxes have been paid, and there are no balances on his medical bills. 3 days after his death my sister withdrew all the money from his account and states she still has it. (in her account). My mother is still alive, they were seperated in 1972, but were never diorced. The bank account was a joint account with him and my sister but it did not have a POD listed. She never put any money in the account. My question is what are my rights in regard to the house and money. She seems do be dragging this out. My Father had no will, and now my sister states that my father told her he wanted her to have everything she had in the bank. Thanks for you help. VHolt
The money belongs to your sister. How is the house deeded? Your mother would generally have rights before you do.

Betty

re the bank acct. - since it was a jt. acct. (in your dad's & your sister's names), your sister would be entitled to the money at your dad's death. Whose names are on the deed/title to the house? A POD (Pd. on Death) acct. is different. It would be for example an acct. under your dad's name & he named a beneficiary to receive the amt. left in the acct. at his death. Re a jt. acct. - both jt. acct. holders can take money out at any time.

Last edited:

justalayman

I see a trend starting here.

was the house in question purchased prior to your parents marriage?

anything else about becomming the owner of the house not typical?

are all children the children of both of the noted parents or is there children of dad and another woman.

oh, and btw, the money is sis's. that is a bene of a joint account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">