• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firearms question(legality)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlg1974

What is the name of your state? tennessee

in illinois i have a felony conviction under the uniform commercial code(810 ilcs section 5/9-306.01)-"disposal of collateral under a security agreement". does that felony fall under the federal law 18 usc 921(a)(20)(A) that reads: "Felons convicted only of felony "offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices" may lawfully possess a handgun under both state and federal law even without restoration of their rights. They may obtain a handgun carry permit, if otherwise qualified". Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351(c)(6) 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20)(A).

the state i currently live in also has the same law(tca 39-17-1351(c)(6)

if any lawyers can answer if my felony falls under those guideline i would appreciate it!!

p.s.- you have no idea how many state and federal authorites had no clue about this law nor could answer my question. i have contacted 22 atf agencies,9 fbi agencies,6 tennessee state police agencies and 3 illinois state police agencies that could not answer my question. what really pissses me off is some of the remarks i got...one such remark that still pisses me off was from a tennessee atf agent who said to "take my chances and see how lucky you are".i said excuse me and in a rude voice he said that he "dosent have time for this stuff"....my tax dollars at work. i have also contacted numerous lawyers and they told me for $2500-$3500 they would be willing to send a letter and get clarification of the law from the atf......come on,almost $4,000 to send a letter

so if somone who does not have alot of money and would like to know if by doing a certain thing would be a violation of law he is screwed....now i know some of you are thinking why dont you send a letter yourself.....did that,i was told they cant give legal advice to the public..."WHAT A JOKE ARE SYSTEM IS"!

HomeGuru

in illinois i have a felony conviction under the uniform commercial code(810 ilcs section 5/9-306.01)-"disposal of collateral under a security agreement". does that felony fall under the federal law 18 usc 921(a)(20)(A) that reads: "Felons convicted only of felony "offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices" may lawfully possess a handgun under both state and federal law even without restoration of their rights. They may obtain a handgun carry permit, if otherwise qualified". Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1351(c)(6) 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20)(A).

**A: please tell us your highest grade level of education and what you need a firearm in the first place.

if any lawyers can answer if my felony falls under those guideline i would appreciate it!!

p.s.- you have no idea how many state and federal authorites had no clue about this law nor could answer my question. i have contacted 22 atf agencies,9 fbi agencies,6 tennessee state police agencies and 3 illinois state police agencies that could not answer my question. what really pissses me off is some of the remarks i got...one such remark that still pisses me off was from a tennessee atf agent who said to "take my chances and see how lucky you are".i said excuse me and in a rude voice he said that he "dosent have time for this stuff"....my tax dollars at work. i have also contacted numerous lawyers and they told me for $2500-$3500 they would be willing to send a letter and get clarification of the law from the atf......come on,almost $4,000 to send a letter

so if somone who does not have alot of money and would like to know if by doing a certain thing would be a violation of law he is screwed....now i know some of you are thinking why dont you send a letter yourself.....did that,i was told they cant give legal advice to the public..."WHAT A JOKE ARE SYSTEM IS"!
**A: also what is you rcriminal record like.

acmb05

Why not just pay the ten bucks at a gun store and have them run the check on you. They can tell you in a few minutes if you will be able to get a permit and buy a gun.

jlg1974

i went and filled out the paperwork to purchase a firearm about 1 year or so ago and it came back approved, but i was to chicken to actually purchase the gun because i knew it was listed as a felony. i talked to a atf agent today and he said that he believed it fell under the federal law 921(a)(20)(A) but when i asked him to fax me somthing as proof he would not.

flyingron: i know what you are saying about that law being blank but it what that really means is it was revised(from a misdemeanor to a felony).

anyone else please chime in as i still dont have an answer,thanks!

AimLow

jlg1974: I have no experience/info to contribute, but wanted to say that I do
sympathize with your situation of not being able to get an answer or resolution.
Just out of curiosity, would a letter to the DA or AttyGen asking for a response
be a consideration?

good luck.

acmb05

i went and filled out the paperwork to purchase a firearm about 1 year or so ago and it came back approved,
Then you can legally own the gun.
[/QUOTE]

Go down and try again and see if anything shows up this time. Trust me, in Tennessee if you can't have it you won't get it. They run the check through the FBI database. I had a failure to appear for a traffic ticket in Florida from over 10 years ago and until I got it paid (then waited almost 6 months for it to be removed) It came back as not approved.

When they run the check it will tell if the Felony will prevent you from owning a gun.

xylene

i went and filled out the paperwork to purchase a firearm about 1 year or so ago and it came back approved, but i was to chicken to actually purchase the gun because i knew it was listed as a felony. i talked to a atf agent today and he said that he believed it fell under the federal law 921(a)(20)(A) but when i asked him to fax me somthing as proof he would not.

flyingron: i know what you are saying about that law being blank but it what that really means is it was revised(from a misdemeanor to a felony).

anyone else please chime in as i still dont have an answer,thanks!
The ATF is NOT going to send you a letter certifying that you can legally own a gun. No way.

If you are really worried - consider exploring your options for a pardon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">