• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Richmond, VA Public Intoxication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FutureinConcern

What is the name of your state?
Virginia

*also posted this in the DUI/DWI forum, not sure which is more applicable*

05/05/07 - I was arrested for Public Intoxation early morning and let go mid day. When dropped off at the station the cop commented that I was very cooperative. Yesterday, 2 days after the incident I had court and asked for a public defender (denied as judge said public defenders are only offered when there is a possiblity of jail time). I than plead no contest. I was not sure of the procedure but I was under the impression I would be able to ask for community service and plea my way out. As soon as I said no contest the judge, fined me the minium 50$ and found me guilty without my explanation. I was not aware of the process, but could not afford an attourney. I am very concerned about my future as far as acceptance into a PhD program for psychology as well as future jobs. Is there anyway I can still find a way to expunge this from my record or lower the charge in exchange for a higher fine and community service?...
Backround information: At 16 recieved a DWI, which was expunged
At 18 recieved a underage possession of alcohol, which was dropped
I am now 22, turning 23 within the month and have otherwise straightened up since the begininning of college. and accepted into a grad school for a master's.

Thank you for your help and advice, I appreciate any feedback.

FlyingRon

I than plead no contest. I was not sure of the procedure but I was under the impression I would be able to ask for community service and plea my way out. As soon as I said no contest the judge, fined me the minium 50$ and found me guilty without my explanation.
When you plead anything other than not-guilty you'll be found guilty by the judge without further action. At $50 you got off easy.
I was not aware of the process, but could not afford an attourney.
You could afford alcohol but not a lawyer? Not being willing to pay is not the same as not being able to pay. Go talk to a lawyer, borrow the money if you have to.
I am very concerned about my future as far as acceptance into a PhD program for psychology as well as future jobs. Is there anyway I can still find a way to expunge this from my record or lower the charge in exchange for a higher fine and community service?...
No, your only option (and that may have expired by now, you only get ten days) is to appeal it and be heard di novo in circuit court, but I'm not sure you'll get a better response there. There's no expungement of convictions in Virginia.
Backround information: At 16 recieved a DWI, which was expunged
At 18 recieved a underage possession of alcohol, which was dropped
I am now 22, turning 23 within the month and have otherwise straightened up since the begininning of college. and accepted into a grad school for a master's.
Doin't do the crime, if you can't do the time. You're an adult now, they're not going to sweep these things under the rug anymore. You obviously haven't straightened up too much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">