• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not allowed to file police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thefrankg

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Recently my car was stolen. I went to the police station to file a stolen vehicle report. I told them what happened and they obviously did not believe me. They asked me to take a Voice Stress Analysis (Lie Detector), and I declined. The officer then told me that I could not file a report if I did not consent to the Voice Stress Test. Obviously I need a police report for my insurance to process my claim.

I have a hard time believing that they can deny me the process of reporting a crime just because I do not want to take a Lie Detector test.

Are they being honest with me or just trying to force me to take the Lie Detector??

thefrankg

Numerous studies on the VST have shown that its ability to detect a lie is no better than chance. It is largely used as an interrogation tool to try and get people to confess when the test "detects" that they are lying. There is no standard way of reading the results, it is purely up to the person giving the test to determine whether or not the person is telling the truth.

I would have no problem taking it if I knew the results would be accurate. But what happens when it gives a false reading (which is very likely since the police already think I am lying)?

I was under the impression that Lie Detector tests were voluntary. All i want to do is report a crime. If they want to investigate me after that, no problem. They won't find anything. But I will give them no reason to falsely accuse me of lying.

Does a person not have the right to report a crime BEFORE he is investigated?

CdwJava

thefrankg said:
Recently my car was stolen. I went to the police station to file a stolen vehicle report. I told them what happened and they obviously did not believe me. They asked me to take a Voice Stress Analysis (Lie Detector), and I declined. The officer then told me that I could not file a report if I did not consent to the Voice Stress Test. Obviously I need a police report for my insurance to process my claim.
What about the report is making them think you are not being entirely truthful? Apparently there is something in your story that just doesn't sound right.

Who took the car?

I have a hard time believing that they can deny me the process of reporting a crime just because I do not want to take a Lie Detector test.
There is likely no law that requires them to take a theft report. If you don't want to submit to the VSA, you can forego the report. Alternatively, you can call the agency and speak to a supervisor if you feel this is wrong.

Are they being honest with me or just trying to force me to take the Lie Detector??
Unless they do this with everyone, they obviously think you have something to hide.

It could be that there are a lot of people making hokey theft reports so they are trying to weed out the revenge allegations and the false insurance claims. Ultimately, the results of the VSA are not admissible in court so even if the test results in an opinion that you are being deceitful, they cannot generally use those results against you ... though they CAN use your statements against you if you incriminate yourself in some way.

- Carl

JETX

Does a person not have the right to report a crime BEFORE he is investigated?
Of course you do. I suggest you contact a supervisor in the PD... or even consider telling your story to the county sheriff or state police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">