• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convicted of DUI -- Planning on Moving in the near future

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cp_007

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was recently (on Monday) convicted in Court of my 1st DUI offense (I was pulled over for no lights leaving a really bright parking lot less than a mile from my house and blew a 0.13). However, this is currently in appeal pending a decision whether or not to fight the charge (this will be discussed next Tuesday with my lawyer).

My sentence is as follows:

1 Year suspension of License (Restricted for work, ASAP, etc)
$250 fine
All jail time suspended
Participation in ASAP
Some sort of Victims course

I would like to move from Leesburg, Virginia (I despise this town) and move to Denver, CO. I would like to know when I can leave: prior to ASAP being completed after the ASAP is completed, or do I have to wait the full year until suspension is up (since this is technically a probationary period). Also, will my license still be suspended in Colorado? Also, any ideas how much my insurance will shoot up? I currently have Progressive.

Thanks in advance for the information,
Chris

FlyingRon

Thanks in advance for the information,
Chris
There are two issues here: one is your probation and the other is your driver's license suspension. You're not required to stay in the state while your license is suspended, but be aware you won't get a license anywhere else until you clean up your Virginia suspension (which means finishing ASAP and doing all the rest). As for your probation, you'll have to talk to the probation officer.

As for insurance, I don't know what Progressive's policy is but you can call them up and they surely can tell you (since they are a direct quoter they should have it on their computer). You can ask about the different states you might live in and I have a feeling that Colorado is one of the surcharge states so you'll get whacked much more for the DUI history there than if you stayed in Virginia (and don't even think about New Jersey or Michigan :))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">