• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dpoa question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sue430

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My Mother in law was diagnosed with alzeimheirs almost a yr ago. Several yrs ago she executed a durable poa & living will/health care proxy, both of which went into effect upon her becoming physically or mentally disabled. My father in law was the agent, my husband the successor agent. My father in law is deceased, so my husband is handling her affairs. Is there some way that he can name a successor agent in case something happens to him?What is the name of your state?

tigger22472

My Mother in law was diagnosed with alzeimheirs almost a yr ago. Several yrs ago she executed a durable poa & living will/health care proxy, both of which went into effect upon her becoming physically or mentally disabled. My father in law was the agent, my husband the successor agent. My father in law is deceased, so my husband is handling her affairs. Is there some way that he can name a successor agent in case something happens to him?What is the name of your state?
More then likely yes, but it's also most likely going to have to be done by a court order in some matter considering that MIL is unable to make this decision on her own and ultimately it concerns her affairs. I would try getting a few consult with an attorney to be absolutely sure on how that would work now considering again that MIL cannot make her own decisions.

BlondiePB

Only your MIL would be able to do this. Since MIL is incompetent, she cannot. If something happens to your husband, the court must appoint a legal guardian.

BlondiePB

More then likely yes, but it's also most likely going to have to be done by a court order in some matter considering that MIL is unable to make this decision on her own and ultimately it concerns her affairs. I would try getting a few consult with an attorney to be absolutely sure on how that would work now considering again that MIL cannot make her own decisions.
The court would have to appoint a legal guardian. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">