• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My insurance rates never really went up...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
Michigan

My "issues" with the law happened about three years ago when I was 21. It was enough to wise me up pretty quick and I haven't had any issues since then. Anyway, back when it happened I was very concerned about my insurance rates sky-rocketing, but interestingly enough, they never did.

When it happened, I was in my last semester of college and still on my parents insurance. I expected this to have some impact on them, but it never did. When their rates didn't go up, I counted my blessings but figured they'd hit me in a month or two when I'd have to get my own.

Anyway, I went with Progressive, told them about my past discretions, and it only raised my rate by about $8 a month. Granted, I was still paying through the nose because of my age, but I was amazed that the actual DUI didn't have a larger impact.

Does anyone know why it wouldn't have had a larger impact on me? Also, I turn 25 in a few months, which is typically the age when your insurance drops in cost a little. Do you think the DUI will just prevent me from receiving that break or something?

moburkes

A discount for being 25 is completely separate from a surcharge for a DUI. While one may "balance out" the other, in terms of the cost, they have nothing to do with each other. You may have been hit with the surcharge, but just never realized it, because there were other discounts which lowered the premium. Other than that, I cannot answer your question.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

My DUI had no significant reaction on my insurance premiums either. Fortunately, the DUI did have major impacts on the rest of my life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">