• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Involuntary Manslaughter Sentencing Guidelines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pi_1

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what the Michigan sentencing guidelines are for "Involuntary Manslaughter". I've been scouring the internet for several days and keep seeing different answers. I was also curious if anyone knows of any recent cases where during a fight someone was killed, and the defendant was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. I'm wondering what defendants in similar cases were sentenced to. I've been looking all over online, but am having a seriously difficult time finding any similar cases. If anyone knows of any, it would be a huge help if you could post the sentence the defendant received and/or a link to an article online discussing the case. This would be a huge help, since a close friend of mine was recently convicted of this but hasn't been sentenced yet. If you'd like to read up on the case, I have another post here discussing it in full:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=329914

I thought I would start a new thread since this is now a new topic and wasn't sure people would notice my question about this at the end of that thread. Anyway, looking forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on this**************thanks a bunch in advance for any help and information you can extend to me. I'll be forever grateful, and the more info you can point me to the better**************

justalayman

750.321 Manslaughter.

Sec. 321.

Manslaughter—Any person who shall commit the crime of manslaughter shall be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, not more than 15 years or by fine of not more than 7,500 dollars, or both, at the discretion of the court.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.321
I could find no listing for involuntary manslaughter. There are a variety of crimes concerning the death of another. Is this what you have actually been charged with or is it your interpretaion. Do you know the actual code number of what you have been charged with?

Now there is a law concerning death from a duel which is written so that a pre-arranged fight with intent to injure could be construed as a duel. The charge is equivilant to 1st degree murder.

You got that code number?

I went and read part of the other post. 2nd degree murder is a bit different:

750.317 Second degree murder; penalty.

Sec. 317.

Second degree murder—All other kinds of murder shall be murder of the second degree, and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life, or any term of years, in the discretion of the court trying the same.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.317
it could make a world of difference what the charge is between those two possibilities.

whoops, just read the other thread completely. I guess the charge is pretty stable right about now.

Last edited:

Pi_1

Anyone? Anyone at all have any idea or links to some info/similar cases? Let me know.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">