• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brboy

What is the name of your state? louisiana

my friend was drunk and i was driving her home. i had been drinking earlier that night but stopped drinking 2 hours before being pulled over. i was pulled over for not having my lights turned on. my car, lights come on automatically, her lights don't. well lit parking lot, i just did not realize they were off. cop pulled me over as soon as i pulled out of the parking lot.

i did agree to field test but made sure to let the officer know that i have vertigo, which is a condition that affects balance. i am taking medication for vertigo. i did not agree to breathalizer.

this is my first offense. i have a squeaky clean record. i don't have any idea what i am supposed to do.

my question is, how do i go about getting a license between now and the court date? do i need a lawyer to get a license, or at all for the matter?

this happened just over 2 weeks ago. i went on the 15th day to request a hearing but they told me that i don't need to do that unless i want to challenge why i was pulled over.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? louisiana

my friend was drunk and i was driving her home. i had been drinking earlier that night but stopped drinking 2 hours before being pulled over. i was pulled over for not having my lights turned on. my car, lights come on automatically, her lights don't. well lit parking lot, i just did not realize they were off. cop pulled me over as soon as i pulled out of the parking lot.
Okay so he had a reason to pull you over.

i did agree to field test but made sure to let the officer know that i have vertigo, which is a condition that affects balance. i am taking medication for vertigo. i did not agree to breathalizer.

DING DING DING! YOu just won a prize -- automatic license suspension for refusal of taking a breathalyzer. Congratulations!

this is my first offense. i have a squeaky clean record. i don't have any idea what i am supposed to do.
A little too late for that. You should have agreed to the breathalyzer. Your license is gone.

my question is, how do i go about getting a license between now and the court date?
You don't. Because you won the booby prize.

do i need a lawyer to get a license, or at all for the matter?
Yep but you will most likely be found guilty.

this happened just over 2 weeks ago. i went on the 15th day to request a hearing but they told me that i don't need to do that unless i want to challenge why i was pulled over

Well from the sounds of things they had a right to pull you over unless you were driving in the middle of the day without lights and it was sunny and you didn't need your windshield wipers.

XNavyLT

I would get a lawyer. Maybe you can mitigate sentence, or negotiate a deal.

The officer had PC due to your lights being off, and your lic will be gone for the foreseeable due to your lack of breath analysis. Too bad also...may have blown clean.

You know better for next time now, hunh? Better to drink water and drive than beer, IMHO.

brboy

i knew he had reason to pull me over. which is why i did not challenge that.

all the advice i have ever been given if pulled over is to not agree to any field tests including the breathalizer.

will i be able to get a hardship license or anything?

and how would i be found guilty, they have no proof that i was over the limit, whether i was or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">