• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennifer98

I recently moved into an apartment with someone I did not know. She - Jane Doe - (illegally) sublet her room because she left town a few days after I moved in for a number of months. I and the new roommate cleaned the apartment and threw out all of the food because there were cockroaches and little of it was sealed. Also there was no room for anything else in the kitchen otherwise. (It took two of us 8 hours to clean just the kitchen.) The women she sublet the apartment to soon moved out (because of the cockroaches) and Jane insisted I re-sublet her room. The second subleter moved out and I had to replace her again. The time and energy involved in finding subletters and splitting the bills between so many different people took a lot of time. When Jane finally returned I had moved out. She refuses to pay me part of the rent she owes me because her food is gone and I "did not take of her things" . The latter refers to the fact I moved some furniture and pots and pans around - though she admits none of them were harmed. Do I have legal ground for sueing her in small claims court for the rent? time and energy I spent taking care of the apartment? the legal fees? I live in Washington DC and both our names were on the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">