• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWI 1st- MIchigan willing to hire to an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heysharon

What is the name of your state? Michigan

On April 19th 2007, I was arrested for OWI first offense in Lenawee County. My Dad has terminal cancer, we learned of this that day. He asked me to bring over a twelve pack which I did and I left when I thought I was okay but apparently I was not.

Aproximately at 8:00 PM, as I was traveling on unfamiliar roads and trying to answer a cell phone call, I missed a curve and almost ran another motorist off the road in Lenawee County. The motorist, turned around and followed me and called police on his cell phone.

I was pulled over and arrested in Monroe County (have impound towing people to place my vehicle and prove it) but was taken to Lenawee County and processed. The sheriff deputy who arrested me said because he had a witness who saw me swerve in Lenawee County, he was entitled to arrest me. Two Monroe County sheriffs arrived at the scene also. My BAC at the Lenawee Count jail was .15

I have so much on my plate with my Dad, I really need some help!

May 3rd at the preliminary, I pleaded not guilty. I have a pretrial conference scheduled for May 17th. I need this delayed. Would an attorney be able to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance for any advice that is offered.

Last edited:

heysharon

Wow

After reading through some of these threads, I'm sorry I posted. If there are any non-smart ass attorney's who read this forum in Michigan please contact me at [email protected].

If not, I'll pass on the "Outstanding Advice. Unbeatable Price." and figure this out on my own. I guess, you get what you pay for.

Just Blue

After reading through some of these threads, I'm sorry I posted. If there are any non-smart ass attorney's who read this forum in Michigan please contact me at [email protected].

If not, I'll pass on the "Outstanding Advice. Unbeatable Price." and figure this out on my own. I guess, you get what you pay for.
Sorry...Only smartass's that know the correct LEGAL answers are allowed membership in this Forum.,....Guess you will have to figure it out on your own...bye!

Shay-Pari'e

LOL, he has a stupid question and cannot wait to get an answer.

So you took your sick father beer and you wound up on roads you did not know? You almost killed someone. Your BAC after leaving your fathers house (Who was just diognosed with cancer), was .15, and you want the courts to wait for what again?

You plead not guilty?

Wow! How are you going to prove that?

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

Hmm, a twelve pack between two men, you driving two hours later with a Bac at .15.

That was some strong beer dude.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on your story which seems a little off anyway and just say this:

The county you were actually pulled over in probably isn't going to do you a lot of good if you were hoping to fight this.

If pleading not guilty was some creative plan to delay the case, that was probably a poor idea. Perhaps you have some reason to believe you were actually innocent that you haven't shared, but from what you've written, it sounds like you're not disputing the thing that actually makes you guilty (BAC).

Lastly, you should probably read a few posts of any forum where you're looking for information about a serious subject. Usually you would do this BEFORE posting.

heysharon

I'm responding for other's who may need real advice for DUI in Michigan.

Well, I did it on my own. Here is my advice for others who may be facing similiar convictions:

At my arraignment I pled not-guilty in hopes of a plea bargain. Duh to the attorney on here who thought that was stupid. Today, I went to my pre-trial alone, talked to the prosecutor who told me he couldn't drop the operating while intoxicated because my BAC was .15. I explained to him that my BAC was less when I was pulled over. He checked through the papers and said you're smarter than most lawyers, they usually don't even ask. He said, "yes, your BAC was .13, so I can reduce it to operating while visibly impaired". This charge carries far less penalties. I guess my best advice here, is never plead guilty at the arraignment. There's always time to plead guilty later, all the way up to a trial date.

I hope this helps someone. As a licensed therapist, I think I'm qualified to say: these purported attorneys on here are idiots!

Last edited:

Just Blue

Well, I did it on my own. Here is my advice for others who may be facing similiar convictions:

At my arraignment I pled not-guilty in hopes of a plea bargain. Duh to the attorney on here who thought that was stupid. Today, I went to my pre-trial alone, talked to the prosecutor who told me he couldn't drop the operating while intoxicated because my BAC was .15. I explained to him that my BAC was less when I was pulled over. He checked through the papers and said you're smarter than most lawyers, they usually don't even ask. He said, "yes, your BAC was .13, so I can reduce it to operating while visibly impaired". This charge carries far less penalties. I guess my best advice here, is never plead guilty at the arraignment. There's always time to plead guilty later, all the way up to a trial date.

I hope this helps someone. As a licensed therapist, I think I'm qualified to say: these purported attorneys on here are idiots!
You are a lier!

Please tell us how as a "licensed therapist" you are qualified to comment on the intelligence of anyone?

moburkes

AND, which of the people that responded to you purported to be an attorney? I'll be interested to know.

I think you should look up the penalties for OWVI compared to any other form of DUI. From what I could tell from 1 minute of research, you're going to be facing largely the same penalties. OWVI is eligible for the same amount of jail time, roughly the same amount of fines, same community service maximums, the judge can still take your car and still subject to all the alcohol classes and victim panels.

Perhaps reducing it to an OWVI will have lesser long term effects on you, but I don't think you saved any real headaches in the short term.

BTW, here's the site I was looking at for that info: http://www.mi-dui-central.com/content/mi_dui_penalties.php

I'll be the first to admit that it's not a lock-tight legal source, but it seems pretty accurate to me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">