• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI: Denied for Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spiralof5

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Dude, wtf. I am being denied a job that doesn't involve me driving. Isn't that illegal to deny someone of a job that doesn't involve driving with a DUI?

For DUI, there shouldn't be a reason I should be denied employment. I went to college. I paid my fines in full. I'm going to the stupid intervention class. What more punishment can I receive?

Can I sue for this?

Thanks,

Scott

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Dude, wtf. I am being denied a job that doesn't involve me driving. Isn't that illegal to deny someone of a job that doesn't involve driving with a DUI?

For DUI, there shouldn't be a reason I should be denied employment. I went to college. I paid my fines in full. I'm going to the stupid intervention class. What more punishment can I receive?

Can I sue for this?

Thanks,

Scott
Yes, since you can sue anyone for any reason.

Anyone with a pen and about $50 can file the paperwork for a lawsuit. Won't really get you anywhere though.

Nobody is really required to hire you just because you meet certain qualifiers (went to college as an example). In fact, they could not hire you simply because they didn't like the shirt you wore to the interview and be well within their rights.

Think about it this way: If you were an employer and you had two candidates who were essentially identical expect one had a DUI and one did not, which one do you think you would choose? I'm not saying it's fair or that's the way it should be, but it's a reality. Employers aren't really working with tons of information about your personal character when they hire you anyway, so something like a DUI can really stand out. Again, it sucks, but most of the people on this board are in the same boat.

Take a look at the labor laws in your state. I don't specifically know much about Ohio, but I think you want to look under "at will employment."

moburkes

Anyone with a pen and about $50 can file the paperwork for a lawsuit. Won't really get you anywhere though.

Nobody is really required to hire you just because you meet certain qualifiers (went to college as an example). In fact, they could not hire you simply because they didn't like the shirt you wore to the interview and be well within their rights.

Think about it this way: If you were an employer and you had two candidates who were essentially identical expect one had a DUI and one did not, which one do you think you would choose? I'm not saying it's fair or that's the way it should be, but it's a reality. Employers aren't really working with tons of information about your personal character when they hire you anyway, so something like a DUI can really stand out. Again, it sucks, but most of the people on this board are in the same boat.

Take a look at the labor laws in your state. I don't specifically know much about Ohio, but I think you want to look under "at will employment."
Same thing I said, except I used less words.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">