• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Attorney will NOT grant my request:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

downDawn

What is the name of your state? Ca

I have repeatedly asked my Attorney to please allow me to move my case from this TINY town of Blythe, (Ca). To set JURISDICTION to INDIO, (CA). He continues to make excuses to me, citing that BLYTHE Superior Court does NOT perform Jury Trials and that eventually it will have to be moved and set to Indio, FOR A JURY TRIAL. He doesnt have an answer when I ask him why has it not gone there yet? I DO NOT want to go to court in Blythe anymore, as I feel everyone here is proven I AM GUILTY, until I PROVE I AM INNOCENT. I REALLY AM innocent! This is what I get for trusting and believing in my parolee boyfriend, whom we share one daughter together. I am 37 years old, no criminal record what so ever, he is just 23, parolee AND has already pled guilty to every single charge we BOTH were arrested for! I kicked my boyfriend out of my house when i found out he was involved in criminal activity. 2 days later my home was raided and we were both wanted for questioning on what the police found inside my home while we were not there. I went immediately to speak to the police while he stayed on the run, as I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. After being briefly questioned, the police released me and asked to contact them should i find any info. regarding my boyfriend.
ANYWAY! IS IT AGAINST THE LAW FOR MY ATTORNEY TO NOT SET MY JURISDICTION WHERE I WANT IT? OUT OF BLYTHE, CA, as i feel outnumbered here. I feel if my case continues to be heard in Blythe and NOT Indio, then I will LOSE MY CASE. I want a fair case and thats why I do not want it here.!!! Dont I have THIS RIGHT?!!!

racer72

Your biggest problem I see is you don't have a good reason to have the trial moved. It is not up to your attorney where the trial will happen. There are very specific reasons to have a trial moved and you have provided none.

calatty

No, you do not have a right to have the trial where you want. Change of venue is granted only under very exceptional circumstances, like in very serious cases, where the case has been highly publicized, or the defendant is a prominent member of the community. For example, the Scott Peterson case. If your case does not fit into those categories, and it does not sound like it does, then your attorney has no grounds for asking for a change of venue.
If something illegal was found in your home, and it was not found in property that you can show belonged only to your boyfriend, like a pocket in his pants, then probably you can be held responsible for it.

garrula lingua

Wierdest & worst case I ever worked on was in Blythe (way out in the desert in Riverside), when I was a new atty.

My client was very nice, but preached the Bible all the way from L.A.; opposing counsel spoke of God & how he was doing God's will ... (& this was a viciously unfair case to my client. Respondent was falsely claiming to live there, had a high income & paid NO cs for several years. Respondent saw his son once a year, now was filing for full custody).

My client's former Blythe atty wouldn't release her file, as she had filed bankruptcy on his bill. :)

When I filed opposing declarations, to make the record (as I heard the Deliverance music in the background), the clerk called opposing counsel and asked for his permission to file my paperwork. :eek: I bit my mouth, trying to keep it shut.

The Judge told me they had enough lawyers in town (... warm welcome), and gave his signature stamps to opposing counsel and said he was going home. :eek: :eek:

We argued so long, I had to get a hotel room & stay over :eek: :eek: :eek: ... I ran to the library after court and typed up declarations memorializing the facts and attaching my proof.
The next morning, I served opp. counsel & told opposing counsel I might lose the case, but I'd make a record, appeal & sane people would review the situation & I'd have his f'n bar card.

We finally settled all issues (with certified copies of all orders in hand). I never saw the Judge again. My client sent me odd homemade soap for several years (her aunt paid me $500 for this fiasco. I paid for her filing fees, gas, food and hotel room; I think I made $100).
All in all, I had a great time, some good laughs, a nice client, a righteous outcome and a priceless learning experience.
That was quite a while ago, but I'll never go to Blythe again.

Downdawn, whatever possessed you to commit a crime in Blythe ???:eek: :eek:
I do believe all jury trials there are sent to Indio.
...unless the Judge just gives the rope to the Prosecutor ...

Just ask your atty to set your case for trial & you don't want any more pre-trials (unless this is a PD, and he has to set up a hand-off).
If you have a misdemeanor, your atty can appear '977' - on your behalf - see if s/he can.
If it's a felony, you must appear at each hearing.
... and, stop committing crime in Blythe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">