• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty larceny class 1misdemeanor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Deavatron

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I recently got caught with stolen tags on my car and mycar wasn't registered or anything. I bought the car in september of last year but was stupid and never got the title for it and was never able to register it as well. So they got me on that as well. My car got impounded and will remain thereas there property. I have a court date coming up and have no lawyer and Ihave no prior criminal history. Do you think there will just be fines involved? What do you all suggest? Thanks a lot for the input

FlyingRon

I have a court date coming up and have no lawyer and Ihave no prior criminal history. Do you think there will just be fines involved? What do you all suggest? Thanks a lot for the input
What were you charged with (crimes will begin with 18.2-, motor vehicle code issues will start with 46.2-)? The stolen tags almost certainly will subject you to the possibility of jail. I suggest you get a lawyer.

Knowningly wrong tags is a class 2 misdemeanor. I see they gave you the class 1 petit larceny (lucky you).

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

(b) For Class 2 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than six months and a fine of not more than $1,000, either or both.

The Deavatron

Thanks for responding. I was charged with petit larceny18.2-96. I wasn't arrested when I got pulled over just my car was towed. Also summons for court for traffic court with improper/fictious registration, failure to submit to inspection, and failure to surrender things to dmv only one is prepayable. I calculated that the court fees for these three will be around 250-300 dollars so there should not be a problem with that. I'm just worried about the petit larceny charge I reallydon'twant to goto jail for anytime over this. I really don't have much money to pay a lawyer or the court fees but definitely better than going to jail. thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">