• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesse59672

Okay first off I my name is Jesse, I'm from Oklahoma. I have a few questions about my case right now. First off I guess I should explain what happened etc, so here it is.

On 12-17-05 I was at a party with my buddies in a city that I wasn't familiar with. Long story short I was woken up at the party and told I had to leave. I had been working all day and had been drinking all night. David (my friend), Floyd (his little brother) and I all three left the house. I was driving drunk, and we couldn't find the highway to get home. I was not too worried about it because it was Friday and I had just gotten paid. We were on NW10th going way too fast and running stop signs. I was going to run the next one but the road came to a 3 way intersection. I couldn't stop the car in time and we went flying off the road into a field with trees and such. David and I both broke our backs (along with other injuries) and his little brother Floyd died instantly. I spent a week in the hospital and was never arrested (due to my injuries). David and I were both 18 at the time and Floyd was 16.

The family understands that it was an accident, and do not want me to go to prison of any sort. I have not drank since, nor have I been to any party-type situations. David has also stopped drinking and we still hang out every day. I have been going to court since February of '06. Here's where my questions come from. My uncle hired a lawyer for the case, because his friend recommended the lawyer to him. First off the lawyer has waived my right to a jury trial by phone. The same day he waived that right he set the case up for a plea and sentencing date. He is obviously setting me up for a blind plea, due the the ADA not offering anything as far as plea bargains. The victim's family follows the case and they are quite knowledgeable of the law system. They asked me if I knew that he was doing this, and I did not. So I called him and got his secretary, she said that he was not doing that and that the online case docket's were wrong.

So I went to court that day with just my mother (i do not have a valid driver's license). He went and talked to the ADA and about forty-five minutes later, he takes me into a room there and tells me that I need to plead guilty today. He said its the best way to end the case. Well anyways he had me sign something (at this point I actually trusted him) and go in the courtroom and sit down. After sitting in the court room and listening to a few cases, he brings me out of the courtroom and tells me that he just realizes that pleading guilty means I sit in jail until my sentencing date. My mother immediately rejects this idea and starts crying. He tells her that its the best thing to do at this point. He then proceeds to ask her why she doesn't want me to go today. He asks, "Do you want him to go home and do push-ups before he goes?". He gets mad, and tells me "This is a very serious matter. Do you not understand that someone died in this accident? Do you not understand that?". He then said that he took this case for a lowered fee, almost like the money wasn't worth all the time he has put into it. He then went back in the court room and asked the ADA for a continuance of the case. A few days later he left a voice mail on my phone saying that I need to get a new lawyer, that he can't promise anything.

The victim's family has talked to the ADA once, which was well over a year ago. They feel that I need to hire another lawyer, and maybe another visit from them would be nessecary to sway the ADA's point of view. My next court date is on the 29th of May, and I am very confused on what to do. My mother and my aunt have went and talked to the lawyer yesterday. He pretty much blew smoke up their ass, telling them that he still wants the case, and he will defiantly use the family more in the case (he has never even talked to them). My aunt is the one who will be paying for a new lawyer, so she wanted to meet with him and see what he had to say about everything. He still thinks the best thing for me to do will be to enter a blind plea, and sit in jail until my sentencing date. Everyone I know tells me it is just too risky, and that is a last-resort type of thing.

I used to the think that the court system was put in place for the victim or victim's estate. I thought that it was to bring back justice, and cases should be decided by the victim's family. I totally understand that I should receive punishment, but I don't think I am the type of person who belongs in prison. It was a first time drinking-driving offense, I was just barely 18 years old at the time, and I have not been in trouble since then.

This link is my case docket if you want to read it.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=172317&db=Canadian

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shay-Pari'e

Okay first off I my name is Jesse, I'm from Oklahoma. I have a few questions about my case right now. First off I guess I should explain what happened etc, so here it is.

On 12-17-05 I was at a party with my buddies in a city that I wasn't familiar with. Long story short I was woken up at the party and told I had to leave. I had been working all day and had been drinking all night. David (my friend), Floyd (his little brother) and I all three left the house. I was driving drunk, and we couldn't find the highway to get home. ? I was not too worried about it because it was Friday and I had just gotten paid. So because you were paid, you didn't care that you could have killed people? We were on NW10th going way too fast and running stop signs.Well of course, Drunk people do that, you freaking idiot.
I was going to run the next one but the road came to a 3 way intersection. I couldn't stop the car in time and we went flying off the road into a field with trees and such. Oh Lord! What shall you do now? Your story is so exciting.:rolleyes: David and I both broke our backs (along with other injuries) and his little brother Floyd died instantly.You should be suid, and I hope you are. I spent a week in the hospital and was never arrested (due to my injuries).You were not arrested due to your injuries? Give us a break. David and I were both 18 at the time and Floyd was 16.

The family understands that it was an accident, and do not want me to go to prison of any sort. I have not drank since, nor have I been to any party-type situations. David has also stopped drinking and we still hang out every day. I have been going to court since February of '06. Here's where my questions come from. My uncle hired a lawyer for the case, because his friend recommended the lawyer to him. First off the lawyer has waived my right to a jury trial by phone. The same day he waived that right he set the case up for a plea and sentencing date. He is obviously setting me up for a blind plea, due the the ADA not offering anything as far as plea bargains. The victim's family follows the case and they are quite knowledgeable of the law system. They asked me if I knew that he was doing this, and I did not. So I called him and got his secretary, she said that he was not doing that and that the online case docket's were wrong.

So I went to court that day with just my mother (i do not have a valid driver's license). And you won't for long. He went and talked to the ADA and about forty-five minutes later, he takes me into a room there and tells me that I need to plead guilty today. He said its the best way to end the case. Well anyways he had me sign something (at this point I actually trusted him) and go in the courtroom and sit down. After sitting in the court room and listening to a few cases, he brings me out of the courtroom and tells me that he just realizes that pleading guilty means I sit in jail until my sentencing date. My mother immediately rejects this idea and starts crying. Boo hoo? He tells her that its the best thing to do at this point. He then proceeds to ask her why she doesn't want me to go today. He asks, "Do you want him to go home and do push-ups before he goes?". Are you on Crack? This makes no sense. He gets mad, and tells me "This is a very serious matter. Do you not understand that someone died in this accident? Do you not understand that?". He then said that he took this case for a lowered fee, almost like the money wasn't worth all the time he has put into it. He then went back in the court room and asked the ADA for a continuance of the case. A few days later he left a voice mail on my phone saying that I need to get a new lawyer, that he can't promise anything.

The victim's family has talked to the ADA once, which was well over a year ago. They feel that I need to hire another lawyer, and maybe another visit from them would be nessecary to sway the ADA's point of view. My next court date is on the 29th of May, and I am very confused on what to do. My mother and my aunt have went and talked to the lawyer yesterday. He pretty much blew smoke up their ass, telling them that he still wants the case, and he will defiantly use the family more in the case (he has never even talked to them). My aunt is the one who will be paying for a new lawyer, so she wanted to meet with him and see what he had to say about everything. He still thinks the best thing for me to do will be to enter a blind plea, and sit in jail until my sentencing date. Everyone I know tells me it is just too risky, and that is a last-resort type of thing. Risky for who? Trust me, you are risky on our roads.
I used to the think that the court system was put in place for the victim or victim's estate. I thought that it was to bring back justice, and cases should be decided by the victim's family. WRONG! Fuzzy head little man.

I totally understand that I should receive punishment, but I don't think I am the type of person who belongs in prison. Of course you are. You drove drunk and killed a human being. It was a first time drinking-driving offense, I was just barely 18 years old at the time, and I have not been in trouble since then.

This link is my case docket if you want to read it.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=172317&db=Canadian

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I hope you are charged to the fullest extreme of the law.

I hope that advice was appreciated.

jesse59672

And thanks for your opinion. I think the biggest thing is that I learned something. You don't think that I was close to that kid? You don't think that I have thought about this every day of my life for the past year and a half?

msiron

What is your state?

family understands that it was an accident
This was not an accident. You were drunk driving, speeding, driving to endanger and it would not have happened if you were sober unless your just such a reckless driver with blantant disregard for everyone.

You're in denial and your problems run deeper than a dui.

Kane

Jesse, your story seems strange to me, and I'm not sure you're being completely honest here.

None of us have anything to do with your case; it's pointless to shade the truth.

Anyway, #1, in my state (and as far as I know, every state) a waiver of jury trial must be done freely, voluntarily, and intelligently byt the defendant. In other words, a lawyer can't waive your right to a jury without your knowledge.

#2, killing somebody is a really big deal. I'm not sure why you seem to take it as lightly as you do. Ordinarily, as a matter of course, if you kill somebody while driving drunk, you're going to prison. It's just a matter of how long. If you think you deserve a free pass because the victim's family has forgiven you (assuming that's even true), you're wrong.

It doesn't work that way.

I used to the think that the court system was put in place for the victim or victim's estate. I thought that it was to bring back justice, and cases should be decided by the victim's family.
This is 100% wrong, and persist in it, you're only going to be hurting yourself.

I am the type of person who belongs in prison.
It's not up to you, and I think you're going to find a lot of people - A LOT - think you're exactly the kind of person who belongs in prison. And some of the folks who think that way are going to be on the jury who decide your case.

In short, you need to take some responsibility for yourself and stop blaming everyone and everything else. Assuming you're not misrepresenting your present lawyer (which seems likely) you also need a different lawyer. Preferably one who can shake some sense into your head.

You seem to think killing somebody is just an inconvience in your life. Until you wake up, no lawyer is going to be able to represent you properly.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I don't think I am the type of person who belongs in prison.
Someone who gets drunk and drives, resulting in someone else's death, is exactly the type of person that belongs in prison.

It was a first time drinking-driving offense, I was just barely 18 years old at the time, and I have not been in trouble since then.
What??? It's not like you got pulled over because you swerved across a yellow line! A 16 year old boy died. He's dead, he's gone, that's it. No college, no family, no children, no grandchildren, no future. You're responsible for that.

Having to "think about it every day" is hardly sufficient. Considering what happened to your friend, having to serve time in prison is a gift. At any rate, you won't get a life sentence. Do the time you deserve, get out, and salvage what's left of your life after that. At least you still have a future somewhere along the line.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Three Months Later

To sum up the OP, this kid drove drunk. His friend was killed as a result, and the friend's brother was seriously injured. The driver, Jesse, thinks the stress of what he's been through is punishment enough and he doesn't belong in jail.

This thread seemed to strike a nerve with a lot of people (in addition to the on-thread posts, there was some back-and-forth PMing), and I've sort of kept up with the case to see how it would turn out.

Jesse intended to plead guilty, but the sentencing date was continued several times before he eventually withdrew his plea and opted for a jury trial. Trial is set for October, 2007.

I just thought some of you might be interested in whatever happened to Jesse.

outonbail

This is a sad situation all around. I suppose just like all the other alcohol related accidents where an innocent person loses their life.
I don't know how many of you have watched the video, but I find it amazing that the father of the young boy who died, has forgiven this OP and is not after blood or petitioning the court to have him put away for a very long time. I don't know if I could ever forgive someone who drove drunk and killed a child or family member of mine.
This is what Christianity would have us do. Not to bring religion in the mix, but for all people who claim to be God loving Christians in this world, I don't think there are many that would be able to forgive the person responsible for killing a child, like this father has done.
I know it doesn't make a rats ass of difference in a courtroom, it is just a rare thing to see. I'm sure that this tragedy will haunt the OP for the rest of his life, how could it not. In fact, as he matures and has the opportunity to live his life, I can only see his remorse growing as well. He will always stop and think how everything he's doing and experiencing, is something someone else will never have the opportunity to do, because of his poor decision on a night he was out having fun with friends.

Truly sad and an example of how fast alcohol can change the course of so many lives. If more young people could witness this case, it may have them think twice before doing the same.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
For those who wanted to know...

01-23-2008
Deft enters a plea of guilty to the charge of manslaughter in the first degree.

03-04-2008
Convicted. 15 Yrs suspended except for the first 4 yrs in D.O.C. - credit for time served in C.C.J.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">