• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firearms question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashwinder

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

First of all, i did not know where to post this since most of it was statue 14 i am posting it here.

I am 19 years old and i am wanting to buy a handgun. I called my local sheriffs office and they told me i could get a permit. However, when i asked them if i could transport it to a range and back they said i was under age. this made no since to me. Also I have been doing some research myself and i went to the North Carolina justice website and found a firearms laws document which is at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf. and found this section of the document meaning that if i am at least 18 years of age i can transport and operate the weapon.
Quote:
North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any
person under the age of 18 to possess or carry a handgun.
however i also found this and i am unsure of this however in § 14‑415.12 it states to be issued a permit you must be 21 however as stated before the sheriffs office said they could issue me a permit.
Please give me your thoughts on this.

TomD1974

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

First of all, i did not know where to post this since most of it was statue 14 i am posting it here.

I am 19 years old and i am wanting to buy a handgun. I called my local sheriffs office and they told me i could get a permit. However, when i asked them if i could transport it to a range and back they said i was under age. this made no since to me. Also I have been doing some research myself and i went to the North Carolina justice website and found a firearms laws document which is at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf. and found this section of the document meaning that if i am at least 18 years of age i can transport and operate the weapon.
Quote:
North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any
person under the age of 18 to possess or carry a handgun.
however i also found this and i am unsure of this however in § 14‑415.12 it states to be issued a permit you must be 21 however as stated before the sheriffs office said they could issue me a permit.
Please give me your thoughts on this.
You need a permit issued by the local Sheriff.

You must be 21 or over to get a carry permit (meaning concealed). That is not the same thing as transporting the gun to a range for practice, which you can do if you have a permit.

Contact your county Sheriff.

ashwinder

Ok so it is legal for me to transport a gun so long as i have a gun permit to and from a range at the age of 19. Thanks for your help

TomD1974

Ok so it is legal for me to transport a gun so long as i have a gun permit to and from a range at the age of 19. Thanks for your help
Yes, but you are going to talk to your sheriff's dept anyway, and their interpretation of any statute has relevance (regardless of their interpretation), so it would be a good idea to clarify that point with them.

Last edited:

ashwinder

ok thanks for the help but, the other thing i do not understand is when i contacted them they stated that they would issue me a permit if i pass the background. But i could not transport the weapon however it would be legal for me to own one. i did not understand how it is legal for me to own a handgun but illegal to transport the same gun.

TomD1974

Ash, it is possible that you and the Sheriff's dept are not communicating. Maybe they did not know how you were going to transport it, or where you would transport it, or for what purpose.

I would go in and apply for your permit and discuss what you can and can't do. Ostensibly, you only want to practice so that you will be safe. Nobody should buy a handgun and just squirrel it away for some sort of "emergency", never having practiced with it. The sheriff will likely understand and support that position and point out in the statutes what can and can't be done. Don't be afraid to ask them to show you the specific statute if there is any confusion.

I think in this case "making nice" with local Sheriff's dept on the topic is a very good move, because they hold all the cards in NC, where the gun laws are surprisingly tight. I guess that is whay Andy Taylor never carried a gun on the job - he wasn't allowed to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">