• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

End User License Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

telecomdude

If anyone is familiar with EULA's and manufacturing practices related to software manufacturers then this question is for you. I recently purchased a software package and as always for safe keeping practices I attempted to make a legal backup of my software package. Upon creating my backups I always test them to be sure that my copy was successful. On this instance I tried several times to use the software and was unsuccessful. I tried to create another copy thinking that my hardware might not have functioned correctly, but received the same result. I did some very careful research and discovered that the particular manufacturer was using a securerom application that destroyed the software's ability to be copied. I then turned to that manufacturera End User License Agreement and discovered that even by their own EULA I am entitled to make one (1) backup copy of my software for archival purposes, which was my intent to protect against damage. I sent correspondence to the manufacturer and was told that yes they do use a securerom copy protection software and that even though I was legally able to make a backup of my software, I would not be able to unless I "hacked" into the protection application to make a backup. Now I'm not sure if there is really anything that can be done legally, but it seems as though I bought car without a key and would have to hotwire it to use it.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information,not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Your analogy is a bit skewed. You bought a brand new car but only with one key -- dealer too cheap to give you the extra key/valet key.

Even by the software provisions in Copyright Act, you are entitled to one backup copy. As such, I say ask the manufacturer for a new one on the house or you will contact the FTC/FCC for this breach of the agreement (end user license) and fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">