• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gays making out in a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zktch

What is the name of your state? California

So this is the story. I was caught by the cops making out in my car in a public area, I'm gay and I was with a guy, we were both over 21. The officers asked us to step out of the car and questioned us and said he would be cool about it unless we were on possession of something illegal (which we weren't). They were very kind and respectful, I answered everything they asked me truthfully (even what school I go to), they didn't do any miranda stuff, and then they let us go. I asked if we would get a record and he said no, this was just a "field interview" (which I don't know what it means). There are two more things to it though... the guy I was with, did have a previous record (which I didn't know about), and started talking about legal terms I couldn't understand... he said he had shoplifted before and that he has a fourth waiver...
The other thing is that I'm not American, nor a permanent resident, I'm here legally on a tourist visa, for a few months.
So I'm scared and worried now. What is a "field interview"? What legal consequences does it have? Will this affect me when I apply for a new tourist or another kind of visa? Does the fact of being with someone with a record affect me? Does it make a difference if I'm a foreigner? Does it make a difference that we were two guys? Will a report state what I was doing? Who will have access to this information (the reason for the "interview" and my sexual orientation)? Should I see an attorney? As you can see by my long list of questions, they scared the c#"$ out of me. Please help!

Ozark_Sophist

From your account, you have nothing to worry about. Couples, gay or straight, get rousted by police frequently. The incident will just go in the patrol officers log - nothing attaches to your record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">