• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refusing extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiouspepper

What is the name of your state? CA
The child molester we are after is in jail in north carolina, he is refusing extradition to california to face his charges of 4 counts of child molestation, what will happen? I was told it will take 60 to 90 days for extradition to take place. In the meantime can he be set free? he has a 1.4million bail, i was told he only need to come up with 10% of it and he can be out - is this the reason why he would be fighting extradition? to buy time? if so what can be done to keep him in jail till he is brought to california to face charges?

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? CA
The child molester we are after is in jail in north carolina, he is refusing extradition to california to face his charges of 4 counts of child molestation, what will happen? I was told it will take 60 to 90 days for extradition to take place. In the meantime can he be set free? he has a 1.4million bail, i was told he only need to come up with 10% of it and he can be out - is this the reason why he would be fighting extradition? to buy time? if so what can be done to keep him in jail till he is brought to california to face charges?
Well at 1.4 million, if he skips you can be assured that someone will go looking for him. In general, even if he was arrested in Cali you couldn't assume he will stay in jail. However, most states will put an "extradition hold" (properly an extradition detainer) on prisoners that there are felony warrants out and extradition actions in process and not let them out on bail.

CdwJava

Do you REALLY think he's going to come up with $140,000 cash?! And the balance of $1.26 million in colateral?!

He will be extradited on existing warrants (provided there ARE existing warrants), and it should take no MORE than 90 days. Typically it would be 30 days or less ... there is virtually no chance that he will avoid extradition unless CA chooses not to go get him.

- Carl

curiouspepper

Thank you for all your responses. I don't know anything about the law that is why I am asking the victims happened to be 9 year olds when he harmed them. There are 2 other victims aside from the case I know but the events took place some years back already. How strong can this case be to put him away in jail for good since there will be no more evidence other than the testimonies of the children? Can he keep refusing extradition? What can he gain other than prolonging the inevitable by refusing extradition? Are there any loopholes he thinks he can go through by refusing extradition? Suppose he has properties to colateral for his bail - it was said he had 2 houses in Rancho Cucamonga (million dollar homes), then what will happen?

CdwJava

curiouspepper said:
How strong can this case be to put him away in jail for good since there will be no more evidence other than the testimonies of the children?
If all they have are the uncorroborated statements of some small children, the case will be very difficult to prosecute. The best person to ask would be the prosecutor handling the case - or the law enforcement investigators.

Can he keep refusing extradition?
He can refuse all he wants, but it WILL happen in relatively short order.

What can he gain other than prolonging the inevitable by refusing extradition?
It's a game. The longer he delays, the more he might think the case will get weaker or they might offer him a deal. Some just fight it because ... why not? He really has nothing to lose to extend the process to 60 or 90 days, so why not do it?

Are there any loopholes he thinks he can go through by refusing extradition?
Probably ... at least he may THINK there is something he can do. But, there really is nothing he can do to avoid being shipped out.

Suppose he has properties to collateral for his bail - it was said he had 2 houses in Rancho Cucamonga (million dollar homes), then what will happen?
Then he might be able to sell one, get the cash, and leverage the other for collateral. There's not much you can do about the bail situation. But, for that amount of bail, any bondsman that takes that chance is certainly going to hunt him down if he skips.

- Carl

curiouspepper

Is 60 to 90 days the maximum amount of time? That means after 90 days he has no choice and CA detectives can go and get him then?

Also the children are now teenagers ages 15, 16 and 17 do they put them in the stand (not sure if this is the term)? Will they have to be present in court and made to testify and say what happened to them publicly in court?

How about protecting their privacy? One kid is very much concern about this becoming public knowledge and people who knows her will find out and pity her, make fun of her or anything else. So how can this be prevented from doing more harm to them emotionally and mentally?

Does anybody have answers to some of these questions?????? please!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">