• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on Settlement Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MK2088

I am involved in a lawsuit in Illinois with a creditor. We agreed to a settlement for less than the full amount of damages rather than go to arbitration. They agreed to dismiss the suit with prejudice if I paid them this amount. I got a cashier's check for the amount we agreed on and wrote "Cashing this check constitutes payment in full" across the front of the check. They cashed this check several weeks ago. The suit was dismissed for want of prosecution but not with prejudice. Does this satisfy my obligation to them or can they vacate this dismissal and come after me for the rest despite our agreement and the language on the check? I also have a detailed release document which clearly stipulates the terms of our agreement which their lawyer signed when I gave him the check. Are they bound to the terms in this document even though it was not witnessed or notarized?

Thanks for any help or advice.

MK

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">