• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWI - weird stuff happened.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JosieD

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

Hello,
My friend was pulled over for an OWI a couple nights ago. Some strange stuff happened, however:

The officer marked his blood level lower than it actually was, to a .08.
The officer told him NOT to get a high-priced attorney.
The officer told him to go ahead a plead "not guilty", and implied that he and his partner were not going to show up at the trial.
The officer gave him his personal phone number in case he had "any questions."
The officer called him and told him "don't worry, the OWI has been taken care of, you just have to go through the motions."
The officer did NOT give him a ticket. Is that going to come in the mail?

I would also like to point out that my friend was driving and un-insured car with expired plates.

I've never heard of an OWI being thrown out. Does anyone else think this is too good to be true?

Thanks,
Josie

JosieD

I do. However, I also believe that your friend was drunk when all of this happened.
Haha, very true. However, I was in the passenger seat and watched it all happen. Granted, I was drunk too. But I did see and hear it all happen.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Anyone can gain a great deal of information from a cop's experience. I would not, however, accept his or her perspective on whether or not to hire a lawyer.

There also seems to be a good deal of information missing here.

Bretagne

Did your friend take a real breath test (at the station) or just one at the scene?

What was the reason you were pulled over?

Does your friend have priors?

Seems to be some large piece of the puzzle missing here.

The only possible explanation I could come up with based on the info you provided was that the cop was fishing for a bribe, but he doesn't seem to be very good at it.

I would still get an attorney. If the situation smells fishy, you're probably the fish.

JosieD

Did your friend take a real breath test (at the station) or just one at the scene?

What was the reason you were pulled over?

Does your friend have priors?
Yes, at the both the station and the scene.
He does not have any prior OWIs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">