• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI from Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainInTheRear

Illinois
Hello!
I am scared to death. I am a chronic pain patient and take hydrocodone and soma for very excrutiating pain. The other day I had taken my medication and then forgot to eat. I was on the road and stopped at a green light and kind of zoned out. The police pulled me over and gave me a field sobriety test - which I don't know the results of - and a breathalyzer - which I had zero BAL. They took my purse and searched it and found my medication. Then they arrested me and I had to go to the hospital in hand cuffs so they could take a blood sample and to take a urine sample. After about 20 minutes into it I was totally with it and I was very compliant with the police. I saw my an attorney today and he said that I should not had submitted to a blood test or a urine test. He said that I will probably loose my license or have it suspended or something. I am so upset. I have never even had a ticket and I am 48 years old. I am totally embarassed and sometimes wish everything would just go away - (meaning ME). I am very active at my church and a muscian. I am scared to death to drive (I have 45 on this ticket) until my court appearance. I am worried about going to jail. If I had to go to jail - I would just die. Any thoughts?
PITR

Last edited:

Curt581

Do the labels on the pill bottles say something to the effect of:

"Do not drive or operate heavy machinery"...?

It's there for a reason. What if you'd have "zoned out" and hit a minivan full of kids?

The chances of receiving jail time are very slim without extenuating circumstances, but you'll almost certainly be placed on probation, in addition to a heavy fine and a license suspension.

PainInTheRear

"Only one out of every hundred people who ask a question wants actual legal information. The other ninety nine just want someone to agree with them."

I don't really agree with that. Where did you get a statistic like that anyway? It wouldn't hurt you all to be kinder to people. I am not looking for anyone to "agree" with me. I just wanted someone to talk to and help me through this thing. I KNOW I screwed up. I know it big time. I am agonizing about the whole thing. I can't eat or sleep. But I guess it is just too bad for me. I am a screw up - plain and simple - huh? I am not trying to get out of anything. I know I did a terrible thing and am going to pay the penalty. Even my attorney today told me not to let this eat me alive and not to let it get me more depressed than I already am and sick. I guess some people are perfect or at least they think they are. I came here to get help not sarcasm.

Like Curt said chances of getting jail time for a first offender is slim. I agree some people could be a little more helpful,but you have to think some of these people on this board could've been affected by a dui first hand (have family members injured or even killed) It's really nothing to be taken lightly. Most people I've met going through dui's are kind, hard working people who made a piss poor decision. I'm not one to judge,but end of the day you got caught and you have to brace yourself for this challenge ahead of you. Not many people here will be willing to 'comfort' you. I'm assuming you just got arrested so all you can do is just roll with the punches. Good Luck.

garrula lingua

Pain,
That's just Curt's signature line - don't take it personallly - you may be his one person. I think it's a very true statement.

A DUI isn't the worst thing that can happen - it's just a bad thing that you can handle & you know it won't happen again.
Post the code section you were charged with violating, and we'll post the minimum & maximum consequences.
Don't worry. Thanks be that nothing happened (no one injured) and, when one takes pills regularly, it can become automatic - at least you got a soft eye-opener (no one was injured).

In most states, a first time DUI is a minimal jail time, a fine of about $2000., an alcohol program, and probation for about 36 months. All of this is do-able and it doesn't mean you're a bad person - just a bad act/decision & again, it won't be repeated.
By the way, if you hadn't cooperated with the blood test, your license would be suspended anyway (usually for a longer period) and, juries usually think you didn't take the blood test because you were guilty, ergo - you're found guilty. Also, zoning out at a green light & the fact that you had the drugs on you, is enough. Also, unless your jurisdiction decided to reduce law enforcement's right to take forced blood tests, it is likely you would have been tested.
You can get past this, easily. You just have to do everything required. You know it won't happen again, so just be glad - no one was injured.

sjmjuly

PainInTheRear,
I hear you. I made the mistake and drove after I thought enough time had passed (drank 4 drinks in the span of 3 hours and nothing for 2 hours before driving) and was pulled over and blew a .09. (I am a small female so that didn't help.)
Anyway, I know how you feel. I have never been in trouble either so I can relate and won't pass judgement - That's God's job anyway.
Since this is your first DUI arrest, you have had no priors and a clean record, I think the court will be easier on you than someone that is a repeat offender. It's still going to cause problems, but get a good attorney and as long as the drugs are prescribed to you, there won't be an additional charge for taking pills that you weren't supposed to take. I don't know what the laws are in your state, but you will probably pay a fine, receive probation instead of jail time, maybe some community service and you will lose your license for a specified period of time. Usually on a first offense and before you go to court, it's called an "administrative suspension". If convicted, you may lose it again for another period of time. It varies from state to state and from court to court. I know it feels like the end of the world, but you will get through it. You are alot like me - Very, Very sorry and you just want it to be over and done with.

Last edited:

PainInTheRear

Citation Numbers

Illinois
11-501(a) - Drinving under influence - local ordinance CH. 11 ACT 11 SEC 4
11-305 - Disobeying Traffic Control Device - local ordinance CH. 10 Act 11 sec 5

I can't really make out the local ordinance's on the tickets so these might be incorrect.

Do DUI's always appear in the local newspapers?

PITR

moburkes

Illinois
11-501(a) - Drinving under influence - local ordinance CH. 11 ACT 11 SEC 4
11-305 - Disobeying Traffic Control Device - local ordinance CH. 10 Act 11 sec 5

I can't really make out the local ordinance's on the tickets so these might be incorrect.

PITR
it depends upon how small your town is.:D

sjmjuly

The CORRECT answer to your question is yes. DUI arrests are public record and can be found in newspapers.
As for the community service, it really depends. The judge that hears your case may or may not give you community service. Some judges believe in it and others don't. I used to live in a small town in Oregon and the judge LOVED giving community service for everything. Even little speeding tickets. Sometimes he made people bake cookies for the senior citizens center.
If you do receive community service it will be assigned in "hours", and could be almost anything. If you have physical issues, the judge may have you do something that won't require alot of lifting or something that requires a great deal of strength.

moburkes

The CORRECT answer to your question is yes. DUI arrests are public record and can be found in newspapers.
As for the community service, it really depends. The judge that hears your case may or may not give you community service. Some judges believe in it and others don't. I used to live in a small town in Oregon and the judge LOVED giving community service for everything. Even little speeding tickets. Sometimes he made people bake cookies for the senior citizens center.
If you do receive community service it will be assigned in "hours", and could be almost anything. If you have physical issues, the judge may have you do something that won't require alot of lifting or something that requires a great deal of strength.
So, you're saying that DUIs ALWAYS appear in the newspaper, which is what OPs question was?

moburkes

I am saying that all DUI arrests are public record and can be found in newspapers.
And by the way, I was talking to the poster - Not you.
I know who you were talking to. And, your answer was incorrect.

Question:
Your incorrect answer:
The CORRECT answer to your question is yes.
Your corrected answer, after I called you out about the first one, was correct.
I am saying that all DUI arrests are public record and can be found in newspapers.

sjmjuly

I know who you were talking to. And, your answer was incorrect.

Question:

Your incorrect answer:

Your corrected answer, after I called you out about the first one, was correct.

You need help. No seriously. Or a real job - I am not sure which one is needed more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">