• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend's 1st offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rms1200

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My boyfriend was pulled over last weekend for a dui. It was his first offense; he has no speeding tickets, prior arrests, convictions- totally clean record. He was driving and came upon a car accident, which there was no way around. The cop had him roll down his window so he could advise him on how to get around, then he smelled booze and ordered him out of the car. At the police station he blew a .18. The whole thing was a little off; at first he told my boyfriend that the reasonable cause was he crossed the center line, then the cop ultimately ended up saying he ran a red light. He also didn't read him his Miranda rights or give him a copy of the ticket. I know ultimately my boyfriend was intoxicated and that's the bottom line. He's freaking out know. He is the CEO/owner of his business and he knows how that will look meeting with clients if he has to put the breath analyzer in his car for a year. Also the insurance increases are very scary. If this is his first offense, is there anyway a deal can be made with the DA for a lesser offense. Would it help if he took some alcohol classes? I know he made a huge mistake, but I would so appreciate any advice. Thank you

sjmjuly

Have your boyfriend get a lawyer ASAP. One that specializes in DUI/DWI cases. The lawyer will be able to answer all his questions and help him through this. I am not certain of North Carolina DUI laws, but blowing a .18 is pretty high. Some states imposes tougher fines and penalties if the blow is over .15.
Believe me, if you keep looking for answers and "advice" on the internet, you will get alot of opinions from different people. Get an attorney - That's his best bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">