• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waiving right to speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daphne96

My boyfriend just went to his arraignment for possessing cocaine with intent to distribute. He will be facing deportation if convicted. I told him to buy time by waiving his right to a speedy trial in hopes of later being convicted of a lesser charge. A trial date will be arriving in the mail this week. Can he, as an immigrant, still waive the right to a speedy trial?

I

infinity2jade

you need to ask for an extension to buy more time. This will give you 15 to 30 days. Tell them you need time to find counsel or save money to pay exsisting council. Keep doing this until they say you have to see the judge personally to get another extension.But ussually the speddy trial law for a felony is 180days until they have to take you to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">