• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intox or Drunk Driving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjmcroberts

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I was recently arrested for public intoxification after arguing with someone who untruthfully claimed i hit their car in a parking lot. The cops were called, detirmined i didnt hit them, then arrested me after detecting alcohol on my breath and administering a breathalyzer. My question is, even though i was driving, the cop was nice (he knew someone with us) and gave me the public intox instead of a dui. when i go to court, should i admit driving when asked and face stiffer penalties? thank you for your time

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I was recently arrested for public intoxification after arguing with someone who untruthfully claimed i hit their car in a parking lot. The cops were called, detirmined i didnt hit them, then arrested me after detecting alcohol on my breath and administering a breathalyzer. My question is, even though i was driving, the cop was nice (he knew someone with us) and gave me the public intox instead of a dui. when i go to court, should i admit driving when asked and face stiffer penalties? thank you for your time
Your lawyer will advise you how to handle this. What was the BAC?

Well, I'm not sure whether anyone will actually ask if you were driving since that's not what you got the ticket for. I don't suppose I would volunteer the information just to be a good guy.

If someone does ask you if you were driving, I guess that's up to you on a personal level... lieing in court is usually not advised though.

xylene

Are you talking about criminal court (for the ticket) or civil court (for the damaged car)

You are not obligated to incriminate yourself - W hasn't changed that part fo the consitution yet. :rolleyes:

cjmcroberts

I am talking about Criminal Court. The BAC at the scene was .20 and it was .11 when they officially recorded it at the station.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">