• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a manager do this? (job sabotage)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Worker

I have been employed by the same firm in Washington, DC, for four years. During the first 18 months of my employment, I was promoted three times. I've had consistently excellent performance reviews and have had a total of seven direct supervisors.

Two years ago, the firm hired a new manager for my department. In my professional opinion, s/he is highly underqualified for the position. I have expressed my concerns, many times, about the lack of communication in the department, as well as other problems. I feel this person is very intimidated by me because I have been with the firm longer and I am far more competent that s/he. As a result, s/he and I have never worked well together.

Recently, I was informed that s/he told my direct supervisor (who has since quit) to "make her life here a living hell," and "make her job harder so she will quit." S/he also told a junior staff person to, "suck everything she knows out of her because I'm going to push her out of the firm."

S/he has, indeed, made my life a living hell (in a variety of ways), the result of which is that I've started therapy to deal with the stress and I've been put on blood pressure medication (which has never been an issue for me until recent months).

I've been told that she can say these threatening types of things to me, directly, but that it is illegal for her to tell my co-workers such things in an attempt to sabotage my job with the firm. Is this true? Do I have reason to take legal action against this individual?

A

amy wolfe

I am a magazine writer doing a story on bad bosses. Would you talk about your experiences offline? You can remain anonymous.

W

Worker

Amy...sure.

Let me know how to contact you, Amy. I'll be happy to talk about this "bad boss."

Finally! Someone who actually wants to listen to me...wow.

L

l_wittman

Pleas keep me posted

I too was exposed to an environment that's so similar to yours it's uncanny. The x-boss I had is actually "reaching out" and trying to sabotage my new employment opportunities. Can they do this ? My life is literally a living hell, I too have been forced into therapy when it's this boss who really belongs in it. I need some solid legal advice. Please keep me posted or email me when you get a chance.

[email protected]

If you email me, include the underscore after 455: 455_

L

leehigirl

Similar to yours

I wrote the letter above yours regarding reverse discrimination. I, too, had a supervisor who hated me and from the beginning made sure I didn't get the training the others did. Then, right before 6 months, on trumped up stuff, I was fired. I am stuck in a new city without a job.

I am hoping for my case to heard at the EEOC.

L

l_wittman

If anyone wants a story about a nightmare boss I'd be more than happy to oblige. You'll win the Pulitzer. My previous employer hired someone who was grossly unqualified for a managerial position. This individual arrived in the department like a clap of thunder and began causing trouble the likes of which you have never seen. This manager abused people based on race, religion, handicaps, etc. Additionally, they made my job an absolute living hell so I had no choice but to leave. They've even tracked me to my new job, it's unbelievable. Could someone help me out here ? I would rather find good legal help, but if this isn't possible, I'll gladly provide the media with all the information I've documented and let them blow the lid off this department/company.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">