• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Head injury in OWI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahf318

Michigan

If someone crashed their vehicle, broke the windshield with their head and cannot recall the accident, being read their rights or anything else for the following 6 hours. Should they have been brought to a hospital regardless of their outward appearance of being fine, and would the breathalyzer test conducted 2 hours after the accident be valid evidence of impairment?

seniorjudge

Q: If someone crashed their vehicle, broke the windshield with their head and cannot recall the accident, being read their rights or anything else for the following 6 hours. Should they have been brought to a hospital regardless of their outward appearance of being fine, and would the breathalyzer test conducted 2 hours after the accident be valid evidence of impairment?

A: Yes and yes. You already asked questions about your Canadian drunk driving charge so I am assuming you also got arrested in the US.

I don't answer questions about a country that thinks gravy on French fries is a delicacy.:D

PainInTheRear

Sorry to be so ignorant

I don't know all the buzz words yet. On the other hand - this post doesn't state the extent of the head injury. The poster could have sustained a concussion, a subdural hematoma or worse. I think that information is pertinent in this case.
PITR

FlyingRon

I spent years as a paramedic. If someone smacked their head on the windshield, you damn sure better take 'em to the hospital no matter how normal (or just drunk) they appear. I've had guys who didn't even break the skin on their face but left the distinctive starburst pattern on the winsdhield. Convince them to get into the AMBO, walk them in to the ER and then have them collapse with a serious head injury after we dropped them off.

Once you get to the ER, you can betcha that they're going to draw blood and test it for EtOH. Can't say I ever saw anybody breathalized in the ER, the cops just pulled blood samples when they wanted them.

moburkes

I don't know all the buzz words yet. On the other hand - this post doesn't state the extent of the head injury. The poster could have sustained a concussion, a subdural hematoma or worse. I think that information is pertinent in this case.
PITR
Your question didn't ask about the extent, just if there was an injury.

ahf318

seniorjudge... thank you? I wonder if you gave the question any serious thought though based on your assumptions...

To phrase the question another way would be: If a person is not in a state of mind to comprehend what is being said to them or what is going on, is there a legal obligation for a change in standard procedures from a "normal" Operating While Impaired car accident.

moburkes

seniorjudge... thank you? I wonder if you gave the question any serious thought though based on your assumptions...

To phrase the question another way would be: If a person is not in a state of mind to comprehend what is being said to them or what is going on, is there a legal obligation for a change in standard procedures from a "normal" Operating While Impaired car accident.
What are you getting at? Why don't you describe what happened and what you THINK should have happened? That would make it easier to answer your question.

PainInTheRear

You already said that and it wasn't a question it was a comment. I guess you feel that you are perfect in every way. You are a perfect parent? Give me a break! Do you think you are God or something?

PainInTheRear

You already said that and it wasn't a question it was a comment. I guess you feel that you are perfect in every way. You are a perfect parent? Give me a break! Do you think you are God or something?
PINR

moburkes

PINR
Yep, I'm a perfect parent, which is why there is a smilie at the end of that statement, and the smilie is sticking out its tongue. You need a sense of humor.

Since I talk to God often, and I KNOW I'm not talking to myself, I KNOW I'm not God. Thanks for asking, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">