• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Final Inventory for Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fiftiesgirl

What is the name of your state? Florida

When my brother got sick, he came to Florida to live with me. I cared for him until he died of cancer. His wife and children would not take care of him. He had changed his address from North Carolina to Florida but had a home in NC. I was told I had to qualify as the executor of his estate in North Carolina. When he died, he had made out a will (in Florida) I was the sole beneficiary. I went back to NC, hired an attorney to handle his estate which did not amount to much except thehouse. It sold, the balance on the house was paid off and the remaining money divided between his wife and me.

Now 6 years and 10 months later, I get a notice from North Carolina to file a "final inventory." The attorney "of record" has ignored all my calls and the notice (she received the same notice I received). Since I am the sole beneficiary and so much time has lapsed, is this necessary?

Also, with him living and dying in Florida, why did I have to qualify in NC. Was that correct?

lwpat

Yes, it was correct since the property was in NC. Call the probate clerk handling your file and fill out the form showing what you did with the money. Its straightforward.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">