• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there such a thing as a statute of limitations......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rocketcitymom

What is the name of your state? Alabama. Is there such a thing as a statute of limitations on a probation violation warrant? A neighbor of mine said there was, however, I have never heard of such a thing and this sounds very unlikely to me. This subject came up between us as I was discussing the fact that my brother found out he has a probation violation warrant in another state for a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence. He was ordered to take D.V classes and of course make payments to the p.o in other state, however, due to several different issues....no transportation to get to classes, and quite honestly no funds to pay for classes or to pay to p.o as of right now due to childsupport enforcement taking 50% of his pay....( btw, his job is close enough to walk to). I am concerned about what really can happen to my brother as he is a great man, the charge of abuse on his ex wifes part was completley false, however, brother could not afford attorney so was court appointed one who told him to plead nolo...brother did what attorney said, thinking attorney had his best interest in mind,lol,lol, yea right! So ,agian as I feel strongly that this statute of limitations thing is very unlikely, I would appreciate knowing how to advice my brother on how to handle this situation. He can not afford to go to jail for this as he would lose his job, get further behind in childsupport and then be arrested for that as well.....

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Alabama. Is there such a thing as a statute of limitations on a probation violation warrant? A neighbor of mine said there was, however, I have never heard of such a thing and this sounds very unlikely to me. This subject came up between us as I was discussing the fact that my brother found out he has a probation violation warrant in another state for a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence. He was ordered to take D.V classes and of course make payments to the p.o in other state, however, due to several different issues....no transportation to get to classes, and quite honestly no funds to pay for classes or to pay to p.o as of right now due to childsupport enforcement taking 50% of his pay....( btw, his job is close enough to walk to). I am concerned about what really can happen to my brother as he is a great man, the charge of abuse on his ex wifes part was completley false, however, brother could not afford attorney so was court appointed one who told him to plead nolo...brother did what attorney said, thinking attorney had his best interest in mind,lol,lol, yea right! So ,agian as I feel strongly that this statute of limitations thing is very unlikely, I would appreciate knowing how to advice my brother on how to handle this situation. He can not afford to go to jail for this as he would lose his job, get further behind in childsupport and then be arrested for that as well.....
There is NO SOL on a warrent.

seniorjudge

He needs to surrender.

Rocketcitymom

That is what I thought as well, however,,,,

Can anyone tell me what typically happens when a person surrenders to a probation violation warrent? Will he be arrested agian, have to post bail again....extention of probation...? Again, the probation was made on a misdeamenor charge, no previous record and not one since.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Can anyone tell me what typically happens when a person surrenders to a probation violation warrent? Will he be arrested agian, have to post bail again....extention of probation...? Again, the probation was made on a misdeamenor charge, no previous record and not one since.
He will be arrested, and go to jail. Bail may be set for him. He will have to finish his probation in jail plus whatever time he gets for the new charges. Tell him to bring an attorney with him when he surrenders...it will go better for him if he does...

acmb05

He will be arrested, and go to jail. Bail may be set for him.
Not likely, there is typically no bail for a violation of probation charge.

He will have to finish his probation in jail plus whatever time he gets for the new charges.
Maybe, maybe not. That will be up to the judge to decide.

Tell him to bring an attorney with him when he surrenders...it will go better for him if he does...
Good advice.

OP why is your brothers probation officer in another state? Did your brother get permission to move?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">