• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft Misdemeanor - consequences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracy_ca

What is the name of your state? California
I was arrested for petty theft (under $400) from Target. I am working at an professional services job, and this is my first time committing this. The officer said that it will be a misdemeanor, and that hiring a lawyer probably won't help me, but I was wondering if this was true or not. I am truly sorry for what I did and am worried about the consequences - jail time, probation, maintaining employment, lawyer fees, and how this will affect my record (and if a misdemeanor is permanent on record). I'm wondering if some sort of rehabilitation program would reduce my sentence or not. Thanks for the help.

onlyonce

What was the outcome

Hi there,
what was the outcome to this situation.
I am in a simalar situation. Scared to death. never done it.
state of California,
at target, under $40 any one has some advise for me.
I'm looking into getting a lawyer, I don't want this on my record, I'm currently applying for a job for the county.
Please anyone, any suggestions?

Antigone*

Hi there,
what was the outcome to this situation.
I am in a simalar situation. Scared to death. never done it.
state of California,
at target, under $40 any one has some advise for me.
I'm looking into getting a lawyer, I don't want this on my record, I'm currently applying for a job for the county.
Please anyone, any suggestions?
First of all, start your own thread, this one is dust:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">