• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested - background check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ducati1978

What is the name of your state? PA/Cali

Was arrested for assault charges earlier this month. Apparently, I interviewed with a very high profile company out in California. On their application form, they asked "have you ever been convicted of a crime". Obviously, I put down "no" since I have an open case.

My questions are:

1. Will my arrest show up in the background check?
2. If they offer me the position and everything seems "fine", should I come clean and tell them that I have an open case? (I don't want to move from PA to California and then a few weeks later have them fire me because of an arrest).

CdwJava

ducati1978 said:
1. Will my arrest show up in the background check?
It might. It depends on where you were arrested, and how thorough the check is. There is no cookie-cutter background check, and laws vary by state as to access to state criminal offender records. Local court records and arrest records tend to be available for the asking ... provided the employer's agent knows where to make the inquiry.

2. If they offer me the position and everything seems "fine", should I come clean and tell them that I have an open case? (I don't want to move from PA to California and then a few weeks later have them fire me because of an arrest).
It might be a good idea. If you were arrested for an offense that would disqualify you for the position, it is very likely that they can terminate you upon your conviction.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">