• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online extortion form gambling website.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Giga

What is the name of your state? Alameda County, California

Recently I placed a few online wagers which won and were paid for winning. Most likely I should not have been allowed to bet them as they were guaranteed winners (literally I could not lose). I did violate the website's rules, but no laws as far as I know.

I was able to withdraw my money and it is presently sitting in my bank. The website found out about their mistake and told me to give the money back or they would send someone after me.

Am I right in thinking I haven't broken any laws? Should I be worried in this situation? I am 24 and live in Alameda County, CA.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Alameda County, California

Recently I placed a few online wagers which won and were paid for winning. Most likely I should not have been allowed to bet them as they were guaranteed winners (literally I could not lose). I did violate the website's rules, but no laws as far as I know.

I was able to withdraw my money and it is presently sitting in my bank. The website found out about their mistake and told me to give the money back or they would send someone after me.

Am I right in thinking I haven't broken any laws? Should I be worried in this situation? I am 24 and live in Alameda County, CA.
Wow! Could you be any more vague??

What TOS did you violate? And who is the "someone" that is coming after you? Fat Vinny ??

Giga

Wow! Could you be any more vague??

What TOS did you violate? And who is the "someone" that is coming after you? Fat Vinny ??
Sorry. Their wording

"All wagers placed on events with obvious erroneous lines resulting from human error will be graded no action. Past-posting is considered stealing and will be dealt with in the harshest manner possible."

Basically, I bet on an error.

Just Blue

Sorry. Their wording

"All wagers placed on events with obvious erroneous lines resulting from human error will be graded no action. Past-posting is considered stealing and will be dealt with in the harshest manner possible."

Basically, I bet on an error.
Give them their money back.

Some Random Guy

You didn't break a law by bettinng on a surefire winner. You probably broke some federal laws by betting online, but you probably already knew that (unless this was a state-authorized site like some online OTB websites)

However, Your membership with the online gambling site requires you to follow their Terms and Conditions, which you have violated. If you fail to give the money back, they can sue you for it. I doubt the police would arrest you for theft, instead calling it a civil matter. Of course, they could arrest you or refer you to the feds for online gambling.

Giga

You didn't break a law by bettinng on a surefire winner. You probably broke some federal laws by betting online, but you probably already knew that (unless this was a state-authorized site like some online OTB websites)

However, Your membership with the online gambling site requires you to follow their Terms and Conditions, which you have violated. If you fail to give the money back, they can sue you for it. I doubt the police would arrest you for theft, instead calling it a civil matter. Of course, they could arrest you or refer you to the feds for online gambling.
Would it come to that? Do these off shore gambling websites have legal rights in the US? This particular website is located in Costa Rica specifically to circumvent the US' attempted ban on online gambling (via the wire act and the safe port act), would this have any legal standing with regards to violation of their online terms of service?

moburkes

Would it come to that? Do these off shore gambling websites have legal rights in the US? This particular website is located in Costa Rica specifically to circumvent the US' attempted ban on online gambling (via the wire act and the safe port act), would this have any legal standing with regards to violation of their online terms of service?
Were you gambling legally when you were on their website?

Giga

Were you gambling legally when you were on their website?
To the best of my knowledge, the law is broken with the transfer of money, not the wagering. There have been numerous crackdowns/shutdowns/arrests connected with online gambling since the safe port act passed, but they have all been the people running things, not the users.

Kane

There is no Federal law that prohibits gamlbers in the US from making wagers online.

There are several Federal laws that prohibit offshore gambling businesses from accepting wagers from the US, however.

Meaning: they violated Federal law; you did not.

You did probably violate state law, but you will almost certainly not be prosecuted.

There is no legal reason why you need to return the money. Whether they'll actually send somebody to get you, I have no idea.

tranquility

The law is very much in flux in this area, but I have to agree with Kane. We could make up some things like conspiracy, but you are not going to be prosecuted--nor would the out-of-country agency be foolish enough to send a representative into the country to enforce their TOS in the U.S.

But, if we're talking big money and dealing with overseas people who are felons under U.S. law, I would consider their motivations before making choices which would be difficult to change on a dark and stormy night.

Giga

So I'm probably legally/civilly in the clear. It just comes down to how afraid I am of these goons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">