• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11 year old warrent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hufferg

What is the name of your state? California

I found out recently that there is a 11 year old [warrent? Summons?] for me from North Carolina.

I am not a criminal - never been in jail or involved in any criminal activity.

The story is I was on business for my company there for months and I failed to notify the rental company I would need the vehicle longer. I am not sure how long it was before I either notified them or returned the vehicle and paid the additional charges.

This was during a period where the friends I was renting a room from in California were moving and I had to move as well. As I could not come back at the time, my boss moved me but in the process my phone was disconnected and so the rental company could not contact me to nudge me to contact them. (This was prior to me having a cell phone).

They apparently did file charges but the papers were never served as my address had changed. I can see why they thought I was committing fraud. However the car was eventually returned and bills paid in full but the charges were apparently never dropped. I never knew anything about the allegations until a company I was trying to get a job with unearthed them. It came as a big shock.

I do not have the records for what car company I was renting from or I would contact them and ask them to look into this and withdraw the charges.

I need to know how to proceed. I live in California and have never had trouble renewing my license or renting cars from any of the rental companies since then even when I went back to NC on subsequent business trips.

I cannot really afford to go to NC and try to handle it personally currently. Is there any way to handle this remotely? Perhaps with a PI or Attorney in NC?

Thanks for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">