• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in Elder-Beerman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubled_guy

What is the name of your state? MI

Hi guys:

This is my first post in a long time - and unfortunately not a nice story here. My friend who is a 26 year old female - went to the store this afternoon, and in a moment of weakness decided to shoplift some stuff and screwed up BIG TIME. the total price - 404.00$ :eek:

She was stopped on her way out and was given the usual treatment - a trip to the security office and asked to sign some papers. The police were then called and she was taken to the local police station, where she was finger printed and also photographed. Her court date, I think is the 7th of June, 2007. She regrets what she has done.

I was wondering what is the best course of action in this situation? She has a kid and doesn't want jail time. What happens in Michigan?

IS there anyway you can settle with the store outside of the court and make a deal, by paying fines or anything of that sort.

Thanks in advance for your help guys

Sunny

Last edited:

fairisfair

no your friend is not going to be settling out of court. This isn't some kind of civil case. This is a criminal case. Those are real police who arrested and fingerprinted her. What exactly is the charge? Statute number will be on her arrest papers.

troubled_guy

Dont know the statute number

Hi:

I don't know the statue number on the arrest papers. I will give her a call in the morning and see what happens. The cops said that it was a misdemeanor and not a felony. So am guessing that is a good sign. Also am extremely worried about the amount involved in this case - does it make a difference as to what the cost of the merchandise being stolen is?

Thanks

Sunny

Ozark_Sophist

The threshold you would worry about the felony/misdemeanor value. Evidently, it's below a felony. Beyond that, theft is a crime whether it is a $2 trinket or $400 in goods. Shows up on a criminal record as the same offense.

troubled_guy

HI guys:

i called her and also looked at the arrest paper/court ticket - it says Retail Fraud 2nd degree. thats all there is on it along with the court date and other personal info.

thanks

Sunny

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">