• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI 13 years ago...never finished court proceedings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baggagecarrier

What is the name of your state? NC

My husband recieved a DUI in 1993 in NC and he never finished going to court for it. He thinks he was convicted but never did anything about it ( fines, jail). Then was arrested for 2nd DUI in 1997 never appared in court for it at all. State of NC has a hold on his license. Any chance that because it has been so long ago there could be some loop hole like statutes of limitations that these cases can be thrown out? NOw that he is older and wiser would like to make things "right" so he can get a license to drive again.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NC

My husband recieved a DUI in 1993 in NC and he never finished going to court for it. He thinks he was convicted but never did anything about it ( fines, jail). Then was arrested for 2nd DUI in 1997 never appared in court for it at all. State of NC has a hold on his license. Any chance that because it has been so long ago there could be some loop hole like statutes of limitations that these cases can be thrown out? NOw that he is older and wiser would like to make things "right" so he can get a license to drive again.
Nope. No loophole.

sjmjuly

I am not an attorney or well-versed in NC law, but it would seem to me there would be a warrant out for his arrest. I was told if I didn't show up for court (Maryland) they would issue a bench warrant for my arrest. I am surprised nothing much happened to him after the second time he was picked up.
I don't think there is much he can do but pay the piper and do what he is ordered to do by the court. That is the only way to get his driving priviledges back. It may be awhile though, because if I am not mistaking, the clock starts ticking after he goes to court.

Ozark_Sophist

Statute of limitations applies for the time between the crime was convicted and the time the offender was charged. Not for warrants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">