• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nigeria

My state is California

I am a 28 yr old recently single mom. I have been working with the same company for 7 years. Over the Christmas holiday I took on a part time job to add some extra income as I was having hard times. To make a long story short I basically stole a giftcard with $86 on it. I recently received papers to appear in court. The papers say I am charged with a misdeamenor. I just wanted to know what I'm looking at, I'm more than willing to repay what I took and any fines. I just don't want any jail time as I have a job and a kid to take care of. My previous offense was 9 years ago.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

You are being charged with misdemeanor embezzlement.

If convicted you face the potential of up to 6 months in jail and/or up to a $1,000 fine (plus court costs, etc.).

Consult an attorney ASAP. They might be able to get a good plea, and they can likely tell you if the state's case is weak or has some flaws.

- Carl

Nigeria

Well unfortunately I can't afford an attorney and I don't qualify for a public defender, looks like I'm gonna have to pray the judge will be lenient with me. I know I did something stupid and wrong, just don't wanna go to jail & loose my job for something so petty ya know.

Thanks for the info and advice Carl, I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">