• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I go to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seth79

What is the name of your state? Massachusettes

Ok here's my story.

In the beggining of this year I was pulled over for a traffic violation. My inspection sticker was expired. I got a ticket. I had every intension of paying it but money is really tight for me and my family right now.

Then about a month later, I got pulled over again. This time because I rolled through a stop sign. The cop that pulled me over just happened to catch me on a really bad day. He gave me a huge ticket, and in the heat of the moment I stuck my finger out the window and flipped him off. He then pulled me over again and arrested me. On his police report, he charged me with evading police also, because I did not pull over right away. (I was looking for a safer spot to pull over, it took me 1/10th of a mile according to the report.)

So I went to court that day, didnt have a laywer. I make too much to get a court appointed layer and I cant afford my own so I represented myself. The judge gave me unsupervised probation for 3 months with a 3 month suspended sentence. I thought that was fine as I am by no means a trouble maker and I never expected to be back in court again.

This brings me to last week. I recieved a letter in the mail from the RMV stating that my liscense will be suspended on June, 6 because of one of the unpaid tickets I had. So I have still been driving until I either clear that up or I lose my liscense.

Last night on my way home from work I got pulled over. My wife and I both work for the same place so we drive back and forth together every day. The cop says that my liscense is suspended! They arrest me and let my wife drive the car since she has a valid liscense. My wife obviously would have been driving if we had known my liscense was suspended.

Well apparently, the ticket I got more towards the beggining of this year had caused my liscense to be suspened. I never recieved anything in the mail to notify me. As far as I knew, my liscense was still valid until June.

I called my probation officer this morning to try and talk to her to see what is going to happen with me. She would not talk to me and told me I need to "surrender" myself tommorow. She was acting like a real jerk for some reason... We have never even met before.

My question is... Am I going to go to jail for this?? I have a wife and step son that need me and we can barely make ends meet as it is... I can't go to jail! :(

Someone please give me advice! I already have a letter from my boss stating that I have worked for the same company for 5 years and I am a very valuble employee, one of my co-workers said that could help. Is there anything else I can do though?

TomD1974

You need a lawyer, and you have needed one since the beginning. Your insistence on "representing yourself" has done nothing for your wife and child that supposedly need you so much. And the refusal to invest in professional advice only means that by the time you get it, it will be more expensive. You will pay more NOW to stay out of jail than you would have THEN to handle the more minor matters that spawned this whole thing.

Borrow the money from a family member of you have to.

As for the letter from your boss, don't embarrass yourself trying to use that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">