• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restaurant Liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robertstapp

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Just read an article and am interested in what the law says on this subject. Can a business be sued/held liable if a patron comes in and has to much to drink? Just because you were given drink after drink does not mean you have to take them. If someone handed you a gun do you shoot somebody? To me its a choice. I was just curious as to what the law says.
Thanks

FlyingRon

You asked this in other threads as well, please do it only once.

Not only can restaurants/bars be held liable, so can private hosts in many states.

Bretagne

Actually, in practice seniorjudge is correct. It is generally very difficult to hold restaurant/bar owners liable for overserving patrons.

Some states do not even have dram shop liability, but of those that do the test for liability is generally whether the server "knew or should have known" the intoxicated patron was intoxicated. But realistically--"intoxicated" people get served all the time.

Generally, one should not serve the "obviously intoxicated". Pragmatically, most people in a bar are obviously intoxicated. Different states define "obviously intoxicatd" in different ways.

I know in Texas, you must present a danger to yourself or others before dram shop kicks in. Realistically, the test is very fuzzy and subjective. Unless you've got someone covered in their own puke who can't stand up or talk, you can't say for sure that there will be liability. Even then, was the drunk personally served by the bartender? Or did the bartender think the drink was for someone else?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">