• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Works 'bomb'" fiasco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J_Barris

Okay, I'm from Michigan and 17. My senior year just ended recently, and I figured it would've been a pretty cool idea to pull at least one prank. So, I stuck a "Works bomb" in a toilet, locked the stall door, climbed out, and vacated the bathroom.
Turns out this was a bigger deal than I thought it'd be. I got sent home early [It was my last day, so no big deal there...] but just this afternoon -- two days later -- a cop is at my door asking to talk to me. Now, I acknowledge that this was a very dumb thing to do. Now that I know it's a felony. And apparently I'm going to be charged with attempted murder, as well. Then again, the whole intent was a STUPID joke... So, could someone please put this into a realistic perspective? I've read about guys getting 5 years for it [this was my first time doing it] and watching on YouTube, I see that it gets so hot that fragmentation is limited to the cap, if anything; the rest is too soft and just sort of "bends."
So, any advice? Reassurance? Or am I good and screwed?

Just Blue

Okay, I'm from Michigan and 17. My senior year just ended recently, and I figured it would've been a pretty cool idea to pull at least one prank. So, I stuck a "Works bomb" in a toilet, locked the stall door, climbed out, and vacated the bathroom.
Turns out this was a bigger deal than I thought it'd be. I got sent home early [It was my last day, so no big deal there...] but just this afternoon -- two days later -- a cop is at my door asking to talk to me. Now, I acknowledge that this was a very dumb thing to do. Now that I know it's a felony. And apparently I'm going to be charged with attempted murder, as well. Then again, the whole intent was a STUPID joke... So, could someone please put this into a realistic perspective? I've read about guys getting 5 years for it [this was my first time doing it] and watching on YouTube, I see that it gets so hot that fragmentation is limited to the cap, if anything; the rest is too soft and just sort of "bends."
So, any advice? Reassurance? Or am I good and screwed?

Was someone in the bathroom when the explosive went off?

Ozark_Sophist

A coworker pulled a similar prank with his frat buddies at the local Hastings. Not only did he lose his full ride athletic scholarship, he got to be the "bottom" during his two year stint in prision.

tranquility

In basic black letter law, "intent to kill" for first degree murder can be had in many ways. One set of ways is when one uses a firearm, knife, poison or bomb. (And, some other ways that don't come to mind right now.)

You need to get an attorney right away. You need to stop talking or writing about anything related to the incident from now on. Don't talk to the police, don't talk to your friends and don't write to this forum or any other place about it. If the police ask you questions, tell them you want to remain silent and would like to talk to an attorney before further questioning. Then shut up.

I don't know the facts surrounding the event. But, from what you've said so far, it is conceivable you are in serious trouble. When representatives of the government say the word "murder" in regards to something you've done, it is time to be very afraid. This is even though they are looking at an attempt. You may very well have screwed up your life with the "joke". You must see an attorney before doing anything else to see where to go from here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">