• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled Over in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aseeker

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My son was pulled over in Scottsdale, AZ in December, 2006. He was given a field sobriety test, a breathalizer test (which he was told registered extreme DUI), and was hand-cuffed and placed in the back of the patrol car, where he waited for someone to come and draw blood.

He was not given any type of paperwork, he did not have his license taken away, and he was permitted to leave. The officer said that he would receive something from the court in about 6 months, and if he didn't appear, there would be a warrant issued for his arrest.

It so frightened him that he hasn't had a drop to drink since. He just started a new job a few months ago, and he worries that this will jeapordize everything. He has had this hanging over his head for all of this time, and doesn't know what to expect.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Would they actually issue a citation 6 months after a traffic stop?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me.

AmyWhat is the name of your state?

FlyingRon

DON'T WAIT!

While it may take up to six months for a court date on the charge, the DMV will suspend your license automatically in 15 days unless you request a hearing. You need a lawyer asap.

aseeker

Hi Flying Ron... That's just the thing, he was never officially arrested or charged. He recently had his DMV record run to get security clearance on his job, and nothing appears on his record as of yet. I contacted a DUI attorney, and he said he never heard of such a thing, and he checked the court docket, and there is nothing yet filed with the court. I'm just wondering how long he has to worry about this popping up after the 6 months passes.

aseeker

Hi Curt581.... I guess he'll just have to be patient, but it's really difficult when he has no idea what's in his future, including whether or not he'll still have a job at the end of it all<sigh>. Doesn't this somehow violate the "right to a speedy trial" rule, or does that start to run from when the charge is filed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">