• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT- Having a bathroom break while they try to kill you

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ozark_Sophist

What is the name of your state? Event took place in Illinois

I used to be accepting of the death penalty, but starting ten years ago, I started questioning the myth of lethal injection as a 'humane' way to execute someone. Now, I'm opposed. Especially now. The state took so long trying to execute Christopher Newton that they had to let him get up and take a bathroom break before they could finish. It's going to be interesting to watch the aftermath.

HappyHusband

I think lethal injection shouldn't be used because it's not painful enough. Maybe if it was, it would be a more effective deterrent.
I'm all for capital punishment (hey, I'm from Texas), but I think its value as a deterrent is negligle.

Less humane methods might increase its effectiveness as a deterrent, but most murderers don't think about the consequences of their actions while they are killing people.

justalayman

guillotine; can;t think of too many problems with a malfunction there.

actually, there was a study done a few years back that came to the conclusion that it cost more to execute a person than it did to incarcerate him for some length of time (I don;t remember exactly what the time was but it seems like 30 years or so).

I have no problem letting the guy rot in jail with Bubba rather than killing him. From what my friends that either work at a prison or have been guests, life isn;t all that fun in there.

moburkes

guillotine; can;t think of too many problems with a malfunction there.

actually, there was a study done a few years back that came to the conclusion that it cost more to execute a person than it did to incarcerate him for some length of time (I don;t remember exactly what the time was but it seems like 30 years or so).

I have no problem letting the guy rot in jail with Bubba rather than killing him. From what my friends that either work at a prison or have been guests, life isn;t all that fun in there.
But, most people on death row aren't part of the general population. They'll never meet each other (the others on death row), let alone Bubba!:D

justalayman

But, most people on death row aren't part of the general population. They'll never meet each other (the others on death row), let alone Bubba!:D
yes, that is true. I guess thinking they had to deal with Bubba was merely wishful thinking on my part.

btw; the study stated it cost more to execute a person (in Texas) than to incarcerate him for 40 years at the highest security level.

Now if we could simply limit their existance to extreme minimal food and no amenities other than life neccessities, we would be heading in right direction.

moburkes

Ironically, the case that started this thread involved two individuals who shared a jail cell. One (Newton) brutally murdered the other (Brewer) because he was upset about a chess game.
OT: It was just on the news here. An uncle threw up on his niece's couch today, she got a gun and shot him several times in the chest. He died after emergency surgery. WTF?
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13400925/detail.html

Justa: That is VERY interesting, about the costs.

justalayman

there are so many special costs associated with housing a death penalty inmate as well as the legal costs involved. There are automatic appeals that require particular types of attorneys required for many of them.

http://greensboropeerpressure.blogspot.com/2006/08/economic-impact-of-death-penalty-vs_03.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~phporter/econ.html

those are a couple sites that speak to the costs.

While surfing, I did find this comment:

Homicide rates are higher in states with the death penalty than in states without it.

the link I believe was associated with that statement was not a good link but it was for some FBI site. Curious statement. Wonder if it is true.

Just Blue

there are so many special costs associated with housing a death penalty inmate as well as the legal costs involved. There are automatic appeals that require particular types of attorneys required for many of them.

http://greensboropeerpressure.blogspot.com/2006/08/economic-impact-of-death-penalty-vs_03.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~phporter/econ.html

those are a couple sites that speak to the costs.

While surfing, I did find this comment:

Homicide rates are higher in states with the death penalty than in states without it.

the link I believe was associated with that statement was not a good link but it was for some FBI site. Curious statement. Wonder if it is true.
This was a good site...You can click on any of the years and see the math..

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=168&scid=12

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Homicide rates are higher in states with the death penalty than in states without it. The link I believe was associated with that statement was not a good link but it was for some FBI site. Curious statement. Wonder if it is true.
The ten states with the higest homicide rate all have capital punishment. But three DP states are also included in the ten states with the lowest homicide rate.

Also interesting is the fact that the top ten cities in the US with the highest homicide rate include three cities in states that do not have capital punishment--including the top two, Washington D. C. and Detroit.

FlyingRon

l injection as a 'humane' way to execute someone. Now, I'm opposed. Especially now. The state took so long trying to execute Christopher Newton that they had to let him get up and take a bathroom break before they could finish. It's going to be interesting to watch the aftermath.
It didn't take 90 minutes to kill him. It took 90 minutes to find a vein in this heavy drug user to stick the needle in. He "joked" with them while they attempted to do so.

xylene

I always liked the gas chamber. Just my preference if I was ever wrongly executed.

The state should never forfeit (or at least not forfeit absolutely) the right to take human life.

That's just political reality. The state is greater than the individual, with rights and (duties) to take and give life. (That whole god part in the political equation is just the superstitions of the founders...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">