• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I drop charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monroell

What is the name of your state? Florida

My bf and I got into a fight and the police were called. They have a warrent out for his arrest now for Battery and Sexual Assault. Can I drop the charges and he not serve any jail time? What should I do???

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Florida

My bf and I got into a fight and the police were called. They have a warrent out for his arrest now for Battery and Sexual Assault. Can I drop the charges and he not serve any jail time? What should I do???
Nope. Calling the police is for emergencies only, not to scare someone. Only the prosecutor can press changes, so only the prosecutor can drop them. Most victims of domestic change their minds after they realize the seriousness of the charges.

sarahds

Nothing you can do

I am in a similar circumstance. My boyfriend and I got into a fight and after years of being together my hand got shut in the car door and he broke my thumb. After almost a month I decided it was too much to handle and wanted to drop the charges. His laywer suggested I write a letter to the prosecutor letting them know that I no longer want to continue and why. I basically told them I am on the verge of losing my job due to missing so much work (which is true). Ive read that in most cases when a women calls the police with assault charges they are telling the truth. Very few lie. I have a feeling you were hurt and you didnt lie and were scared and now that he might go to jail, prison, etc...your scared because you think you'll look bad...or maybe you did something to cause it? He probably deserves to go to jail. The state wants to protect you, which is great, you have no say in whether the charges will get dropped. My advice is talk to someone about you, for you, and if he goes to jail, im sure he deserves it. I know my boyfriend and I are going to trial and im sure he will go to jail. But he shouldnt have chased me down. Look at the results. The close to 4 weeks I had away from him opened my eyes a lot. Take this time to really think about what this guy has done because it is now out of your hands

trishyj

Recommend...

Many years ago I was in an abusive relationship as you are-my boyfriend would fight with me and I would need the police-then things would settle down and we would be in love again (the honeymoon phase). I went through the charges being dropped. It is the cycle of abuse. Eventually he broke into my house and tried to kill me with a meat cleaver. I was scared for my life and had a gun and shot him. He did not die and was fine. He was charged with attempted murder, false imprisonment, etc. While he was out on bail he moved on to a new girl. When she eventually tried to reject him he attempted to burn her house down with four peoplie living in it including her parents and her child and was charged with 4 counts of attempted murder. He was sentenced to prison for my case alone for 20 years. After about six months he hung himself. I loved him dearly, but he was very ill and very capable of hurting me and others.

Unfortunately, as much as we think they will and as much as we love them-abusers do not stop. They are sick and need serious professional help. Maybe your boyfriend will be ordered into anger management. Please respect the law and know that they are there to protect you and your rights. Police officiers put their lives at risk to protect women like us then we want to drop charges. When we continue to do that I think police lose faith in helping battered women. I know you probably love him and want to go back to normal life for awhile, but the problems will arise again. It truly does not stop-as you probably know by now but don't want to face. I cannot recommend highly enough that you get professional help. You need to work on why you are in this relationship and why you are staying with someone that hurts you. "If someone hurts you they don't like you"-Oprah quote. I hope I don't sound preachy. I have honestly been where you are and am very lucky to be alive and well. Maybe if I would not have dropped the charges in our first few fights then I would not have had to live through almost being killed and having to shoot someone to protect my life and the post traumatic stress**************.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">