• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting at Macy's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anushka

What is the name of your state? WA

I got caught shoplifting in MAcys for 75 dollars...i am not a minor and i dunno what happens from now on...i am freaking out..do i get a criminal record on my record???? How does it work..courts and all??

JETX

Hell, you have a criminal record just for being arrested.
Yes, you will have to appear in court and offer a plea or guilt or not guilty.
If you plead guilty, you will get a punishment.
If you plead not guilty, get an attorney and present your defense to the charges.

anushka

okie so i did get arrested???

They just walked me back into the store...sorrry this never happpens..i am like a poster child(daughter)...i am blank as to how i did it..but I did do it...I know i did..I was alone and no no one else was there..
So do they necessarily prosecute me???
I am going to plea guilty...then what??...What are the kinds of punishments??.....DO i get into a lot of trouble...What if i want a job later this year?? or anything like that??? I told my guardian..and my parents are not here....I dunno what else to do..******

How did i do this ???Do not judge me on this...I am not a bad person...

anushka

I dont think it was the cops....it was Macy's security...he had a batch though...so i dunno.....
I like a dodo freaked out and did what he asked me to do and said ' oh sure i did it for a bet'..(he mocked at me with that response when i said i dunno why i did it/) .....but i didnt do it for a bet so i technically lied as well now...I dunno where to go from here...
HOw long does court usually take in WA....so this happened on May 26th 9weeekend) andi am out of town from june 10th to 17th....what are the chances the letter is gonig to come here before then andi am oging to miss my date?

racer72

Likely scenario is Macy's never reported this to the police, you would have been cited on the spot if they had. What you are going to get is a letter from the Macy's legal department demanding a payment of up to $500 as civil compensation for being caught. Pay this fine, stay of of Macy's and life goes on. Don't pay the fine, Macy's calls the cops, you get a ticket in the mail with a mandatory court appearance and you will be sued for the $500 plus attorney fees.

MikeKV

Likely scenario is Macy's never reported this to the police, you would have been cited on the spot if they had. What you are going to get is a letter from the Macy's legal department demanding a payment of up to $500 as civil compensation for being caught. Pay this fine, stay of of Macy's and life goes on. Don't pay the fine, Macy's calls the cops, you get a ticket in the mail with a mandatory court appearance and you will be sued for the $500 plus attorney fees.
Racer72-that's exactly where i was going with my earlier question. Thanks!

MikeKV

well they did..and i am screwed!
So thanks guys but e
Could you clarify who "they" is? and what exactly they did?

You may not be completely screwed is what I'm getting at. No matter what happens, hopefully this incident will help you learn never to even think about stealing again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">