• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother with Alzheimer's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scot10

What is the name of your state? LA

My brother is in what I think is fairly early stage of Alzheimer's. His short term memory is impaired but his long term memory and ability to think logically are in tact. His wife, who left him some years ago, is now saying that she is going to get power of attorney so she can take over his financial matters. She has mentioned nursing home, which is definitely not needed at this time. She wants to take away his driving privileges. He is well able to still get himself to and from the grocery and drug store, which is the majority of the driving he does anymore. How can I help preserve his rights and be sure any action taken is in his best interest and not a case of her taking advantage of his situation? Since she is still legally his wife is there anything we - his sisters and brothers - can do on his behalf? His wife has proven herself to be untrustworthy in the past and we feel we have ample reason to question her motives.

lwpat

The first thing is to see about a divorce. Then talk to an elder law attorney. These things depend on the law of your state and you will need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">