• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public intoxication and possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worriedgirl

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My daughter, 20, went to a bar with friends (brilliant). She stepped out to the smoking area with a beer in hand. She was arrested and cited twice - intoxication and underage possession of alcohol.
Should she get an attorney? Will an attorney be able to fight the charges or plea bargain? She was caught with a beer in hand but was not given a breathalizer or flashlight test for the intoxication. Will this hurt her permanent record as far as employment and scholarships?
Needless to say she is worried and this is new to us. Would appreciate advice

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My daughter, 20, went to a bar with friends (brilliant). She stepped out to the smoking area with a beer in hand. She was arrested and cited twice - intoxication and underage possession of alcohol.
Should she get an attorney? Will an attorney be able to fight the charges or plea bargain? She was caught with a beer in hand but was not given a breathalizer or flashlight test for the intoxication. Will this hurt her permanent record as far as employment and scholarships?
Needless to say she is worried and this is new to us. Would appreciate advice
Yes, she should get an attorney...things tend to go better when you are represented by someone who knows the law...;)

The police are not required to give her a breathalizer...She's 20, at a bar with a beer in her hand. And depending on her domineer the intoxication may have been apparent.

As far as employment and scholarships...yes they may be affected. Some jobs won't hire you with an alcohol related offense, and the same for scholarships...If they have a choice between two applicants...one with a clean record and one without...well...the non-offender will probably get the money.

Jewly

Worried Girl

.....bay ;) once again you have empressed me with your advice. I totally agree with you......but.....from the way I can see it is mom and daughter are both very nice people, I mean :rolleyes: shes 20 years old and is holding a beer??????:confused: ..did I miss something??.....wheres the BIG CRIME??.geeze give the family a break. Im sorry dont mean to get so emotional(menopause) but for reals. I think that you are a very nice family and your doing good by your daughter, anyway that was just my opion(I no that I miss spelled that) sorry but my spell check wont work on this site.:(

moburkes

.....bay ;) once again you have empressed me with your advice. I totally agree with you......but.....from the way I can see it is mom and daughter are both very nice people, I mean :rolleyes: shes 20 years old and is holding a beer??????:confused: ..did I miss something??.....wheres the BIG CRIME??.geeze give the family a break. Im sorry dont mean to get so emotional(menopause) but for reals. I think that you are a very nice family and your doing good by your daughter, anyway that was just my opion(I no that I miss spelled that) sorry but my spell check wont work on this site.:(
The law says 21, hon. Did you miss that in all these years that you've been on this earth?:confused:

The Occultist

So, you feel that because this isn't that big of a crime, that everybody should just look the other way on it? Well where do you plan on drawing the line? Maybe stealing a pack of gum or something? After all, that's not a big crime, right? Then, after we've been jaded by that, we'll step up to bigger things. Stealing jewelry and possessing acid will no longer be big crimes, so why should we bother enforcing those? Your argument creates a slippery slope. Laws are laws for a reason, whether or not you like it, and must be enforced.

Jewly

Sorry I didnt mean to upset anyone. Your right she is only 20 and the law does say 21. I meant no harm by my post. Once again I am sorry if I sounded????????whatever I sounded like it wont happen again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">