• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd DUI Out of State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmann11

What is the name of your state? PA, VA

I was convicted of a DUI in PA about 2 years ago. I went through the ARD program and that was all taken care of. This past weekend I got a second DUI (blew .08 in the breath machine) in Virginia and I am a PA resident. I am really worried as to what will happen to me. I hope there is no jail time as I have a job and that would just destroy my life. I need advise as to what I should do and what my consequences are. Any advise is truly appreciated.

Best Regards.

You shouldn't have been convicted if you went through ARD successfully. Since this is your second DUI in ten years you will be required to install an interlock device on all your vehicles before you have your driving license restored. 5 days to 6 month jail sentence, $300-$2500 fine, 1 year license suspension, drug and alcohol evaluation, traffic school. Whether you lose your job depends on your employer, but that is the harsh reality. First thing I would do is contact a lawyer and go from there.

FlyingRon

The jail sentence and fines are not determined by Pennsylvania (which I assume you are quoting, as they don't correspond to any of the VA sanctions). As pointed out, if you were successful in your ARD probation, you will not have a prior conviction. First DUI in virginia is $2500 and up to a year in jail, plus loss of VA driving privs for a year. The jail time is nearly always suspended. You will comply with the VA ASAP program.

What PA's DMV does with the news you've been suspended for DUI in VA is an additional concern.

Nathan S.

They may have you serve a couple of days in county since you won't be eligible for probation. It also depends if you admitted you were arrested for DUI in PA

sjmjuly

Usually in Virginia there is a mandatory jail time of 5 to 10 days for a first offense. Virginia DUI laws are tough - They aren't playing anymore.

irish77

The jail sentence and fines are not determined by Pennsylvania (which I assume you are quoting, as they don't correspond to any of the VA sanctions). As pointed out, if you were successful in your ARD probation, you will not have a prior conviction. First DUI in virginia is $2500 and up to a year in jail, plus loss of VA driving privs for a year. The jail time is nearly always suspended. You will comply with the VA ASAP program.

What PA's DMV does with the news you've been suspended for DUI in VA is an additional concern.
I read this and this is accurate. Lawyer told me the same thing last night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">