• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC - Speeding to Elude Arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

offthahorseceo

North Carolina, the law my situation falls under is this

§ 20 141.5. Speeding to elude arrest.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or public vehicular area while fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer who is in the lawful performance of his duties. Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) If two or more of the following aggravating factors are present at the time the violation occurs, violation of this section shall be a Class H felony.
(1) Speeding in excess of 15 miles per hour over the legal speed limit.
(2) Gross impairment of the person's faculties while driving due to:
a. Consumption of an impairing substance; or
b. A blood alcohol concentration of 0.14 or more within a relevant time after the driving.
(3) Reckless driving as proscribed by G.S. 20 140.
(4) Negligent driving leading to an accident causing:
a. Property damage in excess of one thousand dollars ($1,000); or
b. Personal injury.
(5) Driving when the person's drivers license is revoked.
(6) Driving in excess of the posted speed limit, during the days and hours when the posted limit is in effect, on school property or in an area designated as a school zone pursuant to G.S. 20 141.1, or in a highway work zone as defined in G.S. 20 141(j2).
(7) Passing a stopped school bus as proscribed by G.S. 20 217.
(8) Driving with a child under 12 years of age in the vehicle.
(b1) When a violation of subsection (a) of this section is the proximate cause of the death of any person, the person violating subsection (a) of this section shall be guilty of a Class H felony. When a violation of subsection (b) of this section is the proximate cause of the death of any person, the person violating subsection (b) of this section shall be guilty of a Class E felony.
(c) Whenever evidence is presented in any court or administrative hearing of the fact that a vehicle was operated in violation of this section, it shall be prima facie evidence that the vehicle was operated by the person in whose name the vehicle was registered at the time of the violation, according to the Division's records. If the vehicle is rented, then proof of that rental shall be prima facie evidence that the vehicle was operated by the renter of the vehicle at the time of the violation.
(d) The Division shall suspend, for up to one year, the drivers license of any person convicted of a misdemeanor under this section. The Division shall revoke, for two years, the drivers license of any person convicted of a felony under this section if the person was convicted on the basis of the presence of two of the aggravating factors listed in subsection (b) of this section. The Division shall revoke, for three years, the drivers license of any person convicted of a felony under this section if the person was convicted on the basis of the presence of three or more aggravating factors listed in subsection (b) of this section. In the case of a first felony conviction under this section where only two aggravating factors were present, the licensee may apply to the sentencing court for a limited driving privilege after a period of 12 months of revocation, provided the operator's license has not also been revoked or suspended under any other provision of law. A limited driving privilege issued under this subsection shall be valid for the period of revocation remaining in the same manner and under the terms and conditions prescribed in G.S. 20 16.1(b). If the person's license is revoked under any other statute, the limited driving privilege issued pursuant to this subsection is invalid.
(e) When the probable cause of the law enforcement officer is based on the prima facie evidence rule set forth in subsection (c) above, the officer shall make a reasonable effort to contact the registered owner of the vehicle prior to initiating criminal process.
(f) Each law enforcement agency shall adopt a policy applicable to the pursuit of fleeing or eluding motorists. Each policy adopted pursuant to this subsection shall specifically include factors to be considered by an officer in determining when it is advisable to break off a chase to stop and apprehend a suspect. The Attorney General shall develop a model policy or policies to be considered for use by law enforcement agencies. (1997 443, s. 19.26(a); 2005 341, s. 1.)
hello my name is ****** and in 2005 i was involved in some trouble with law enforcement.
i was charged with:
felony speeding to elude arrest(gs 20-141.5),
reckless driving (gs 20-140(b)),
speeding ( gs 20-141 (j1)),
dwlr (gs 20-28(A)),
failure to stop at a stopsign (gs 20-158 (b))

i was never found guilty of speeding, reckless driving, the stop sign charge, or driving while license revoked. they were all voluntarily dismissed and i had my license back the day after the incident.

my question now is. if i was never found guilty of the aggravating factors wouldnt that mean it was no longer a felony charge?

(b) If two or more of the following aggravating factors are present at the time the violation occurs, violation of this section shall be a Class H felony.
(1) Speeding in excess of 15 miles per hour over the legal speed limit.
(2) Gross impairment of the person's faculties while driving due to:
a. Consumption of an impairing substance; or
b. A blood alcohol concentration of 0.14 or more within a relevant time after the driving.
(3) Reckless driving as proscribed by G.S. 20 140.
(4) Negligent driving leading to an accident causing:
a. Property damage in excess of one thousand dollars ($1,000); or
b. Personal injury.
(5) Driving when the person's drivers license is revoked.
(6) Driving in excess of the posted speed limit, during the days and hours when the posted limit is in effect, on school property or in an area designated as a school zone pursuant to G.S. 20 141.1, or in a highway work zone as defined in G.S. 20 141(j2).
(7) Passing a stopped school bus as proscribed by G.S. 20 217.
(8) Driving with a child under 12 years of age in the vehicle.

offthahorseceo

Just because you weren't convicted doesn't mean they weren't present... :rolleyes:
thanks for your quick reply :)

so OJ wasnt convicted of murder yet many people believe the murder was present. he wasnt found guilty so it doesnt affect his criminal record and he is not considered guilty of murder nor is the offense of murder considered present by the court of law on that day for OJ simpson

i wasnt found guilty of speeding or the other charges so in order to be analogous to my previous example, i could be suspected of the charges but since i wasnt found guilty of them they shouldnt affect my criminal record, at most i believe i should have received a misdemeanor charge of speeding to elude arrest

moburkes

thanks for your quick reply :)

so OJ wasnt convicted of murder yet many people believe the murder was present. he wasnt found guilty so it doesnt affect his criminal record and he is not considered guilty of murder nor is the offense of murder considered present by the court of law on that day for OJ simpson

i wasnt found guilty of speeding or the other charges so in order to be analogous to my previous example, i could be suspected of the charges but since i wasnt found guilty of them they shouldnt affect my criminal record, at most i believe i should have received a misdemeanor charge of speeding to elude arrest
Being not guilty did NOT change his criminal record.

It says present, it does NOT say that you have to be found guilty.

offthahorseceo

Being not guilty did NOT change his criminal record.

It says present, it does NOT say that you have to be found guilty.
what i mean is being found not guilty did not change his criminal record in that he is not guilty of murder. so if i wasnt found guilty then how should it affect me

let me clarify, youre at a store and for examples sake your charged with shoplifting with a deadly weapon, and possesion of a deadly weapon. in this examply thats the worst felony ever. you were in fact shoplifting but you didnt have a gun. the DA dismisses the deadly weapon charge sayin ok you didnt have a deadly weapon. why should the charge still be shoplifting with a deadly weapon

Last edited:

moburkes

what i mean is being found not guilty did not change his criminal record in that he is not guilty of murder. so if i wasnt found guilty then how should it affect me

let me clarify, youre at a store and for examples sake your charged with shoplifting with a deadly weapon, and possesion of a deadly weapon. in this examply thats the worst felony ever. you were in fact shoplifting but you didnt have a gun. the DA dismisses the deadly weapon charge sayin ok you didnt have a deadly weapon. why should the charge still be shoplifting with a deadly weapon
Then, the charge would be different. However, nowhere in the statute that you cite does it say that you have to be found GUILTY or plead no contest in order for the other factors to be present.

offthahorseceo

Then, the charge would be different. However, nowhere in the statute that you cite does it say that you have to be found GUILTY or plead no contest in order for the other factors to be present.
i understand but who's to say the factors were even present if the verdict was not guilty

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">