• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV Not Accepted Court-Certified Stipulation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drobison

What is the name of your state? CA

I had my CA drivers license (Class C) suspended due to not having proper evidence of financial responsibility. One problem that came with this, is that the other insurance company sued me for damages (my fault) but I never had a summons to court. After not showing (since I only got notice I was being sued, no summons date), the judge found me guilty without ability to plead my case. I found out months later by the DMV that my license was suspended (back in Februay '07).

As things are now, a stipulation order for payment was generated, signed by the plaintiff attorneys, myself (defendant), and STAMPED (not signed by hand) and dated by a Suporior Court Judge. The order was also verified through an Executive Officer of the Court and Court Clerk, then mailed back to the attorneys office who sent me a letter stating the papers were certified. In the order, it is stated: '..by being signed by the Court, this order may be used to reinstate the defendents license...'. I went to the DMV who stated that had to fax the documents to Sacremento for review. They said that the documents must be signed by hand from the Superior Court Judge and will not reinstate my driver's license.

Is this right? Is a STAMP from a Judge just as certifiable as a signature? What is the difference if any? The documents were verified by 2 other court employees and an attorneys office, all certifying them legitimate after the date the judge stamped them. By the way, isn't it a Felony for anyone to impersonate a judge?

Busboy in Irvine,
-D

Bretagne

Go to the judge and have him/her sign the document. You'll need to call court administration and ask for his/her law clerk to explain the situation and the need for a signature, not a stamp.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">