• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with paten searsh

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkzc

I’m trying to get a paten for product that I think I am the only one who has invented it. What are the best coast efficient and safest ways to find out if I’m the only one with the idea? How do I protect my idea while I am searching?

T

TimC

Step one is to totally document your idea on paper. Next, put everything in an envelope and address it to YOURSELF at your home address. Drop it in the mail. When it comes back to you DO NOT OPEN IT. Just put it away. If there ever comes a time when you need to prove that you thought of it first, this postmarked document will come into play.

Next, do a patent search. There are several on-line repositories of patents issued in the US. Do a web search to locate these. It will take a LONG time to conduct the search. My advice is to hire a professional if you have any faith at all in your idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">