• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking/harassment/invasion of privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wraith0078

What is the name of your state? California and Iowa.

My ex-wife is in California, and I'm in Iowa.

We split up 4 years ago and were divorced 3 years ago. Over this time, her dad's new wife has struck up several instant messenger conversations with me whenever the two of us happened to be online at the same time. Thinking nothing of it, I went ahead and talked to her. We never discussed at length my ex or the divorce. Rather, we kept the conversations to other subjects like her grandkids and her kids and other stuff that was going on. Key point here being that I never instigated these conversations.

A couple weeks ago, I got a piece of mail for her at my new address from Bank of America. How they decided to look for her here, I have no idea, but they did. Thinking it might be something important, I got ahold of her stepmom to get an address to forward it to so that she could get it.

Well, apparently that pissed the ex-wife off and I received the following email from her:

DO NOT contact <Stepmom's name removed> or my father anymore or any other family member or close friend of mine. If I hear you've contacted them, you will be hearing from our attorney, who is aware of this situation and will be receiving a print screen of this e-mail. This is your first and ONLY warning. Any further contact from this point on will be considered stalking. It is unwanted, invading my privacy and harassment.

My husband is also aware of this situation and is prepared to take all measures necessary.

Now is she just blowing smoke, or can what I've described above be construed somehow to fit the definition of stalking, invasion of privacy or harassment? Am I better off not sending a reply to her and just cutting off conversation with any of them, whether they instigate it or not? One other thing I should probably mention is that her stepmom doesn't exactly have the best track record of telling the truth, so I don't know what she may have said to the ex in an attempt to cover her ass.

I had a rather untimely death of my computer's hard drive and was forced to toss it and install all my software on a new one, so unless AOL keeps logs of AIM conversations that are admissible in court, I have no proof I'm telling the truth. It's a convenient excuse, I know, but I have no control over when my hardware decides to kick the bucket.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bretagne

Don't worry. Smoke blowing.

If there is an allegation of harassment or stalking, it would be that you are harassing/stalking stepmom. Ex wife has no control over who you talk to. You can talk to her dad, her step mom, her priest. Ignore the letter; do not respond in kind and feed this fire.

MyHouse

Yeah, if you could stop exes from talking to your family members, then I would have stopped my xh from calling my mother nearly every day and talking **** about me. Don't worry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">